Men Beanies

Angela Marsala

Question

I cannot seem to get this right, no matter how hard I try.  I have watched two videos on youtube, and did exactly what they told me to do.  I have read two patterns and slowly but surely did exactly what it told me to do.  No matter what, though, my men's beanie turns out ENTIRELY too big.  I even tried stopping at the circumference of my husband's head, and just working on length by dc one into each stitch.  Still way too big.  I've counted every last stitch.  What am I doing wrong???

7 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville :hook

What pattern are you using?

sometimes I have to stop increasing before i reach the final desired circumference, because the first rows where i work even sort of continue to "absorb" the increases.  If you are using a stretchy yarn and/or a stretchy stitch pattern, this would be even more noticeable.  

I have gone down in hook size....it seems to work for a little while, and then I notice it's getting too big.   I will try that, magic...the only other thing that I have tried was stopping AT the circumference...so before may work.  I used four different patterns...two were on Youtube and two in writing.   Oh well, thanks for the tip!

I don't like to do this because I don't like 'hat head', but many are of the opinion that one should make hats an inch or two smaller than a person's head so that they stretch to fit.  (This may depend on the yarn and stitch pattern, some stretch more than others).

Since you are counting your stitches, I won't mention the tip that I use - there is a spot when working in the round (the base of the first stitch) that looks like a stitch, but isn't.  I've been crocheting a LONG time and still have to mark that non-stitch every time.

That's why I don't make hats (or anything that has to fit). I make scarves and nobody ever said "They're too long" . Hats I've made in the past went to charity sales, where they've always found a head to sit on :lol .  Sometimes you can shrink them to fit. Every now and then I try a hat again, I think I'll get it some day. Keep trying.

Ellie 13

I would just stop a round sooner on the increasing, since this has happened numerous times. Then crochet evenly down the sides.

It can make a difference what st you're using too. It takes a lot more sc around than dc around. When you discover what is perfect for your project, write it down and keep it.

Archived