Cool Kool-Aid Dyeing

deneen

I finally dyed some wool! The first batch is a thinner sports weight wool yarn, done with berry blue and grape (I like the natural showing through, sort of tie dyed).

The other batches are a bulky wool from Norway and this was done with Kiwi and lemonade mixed, grape and cherry.

I used 8 packets of Kool-Aid and wish I had more of it, but they came out fine for me.

Of course, I plan to buy more Kool-aid and dye some fisherman's wool much darker. Now I know!

First I soaked the yarn in warm water and vinegar. Gently wrung it out and put it in a Pyrex dish.

I just mixed the Kool-Aid with 1/4 cup of water and used syringes and sponge brushes to paint it on. No vinegar added because the Kool-Aid has a bunch of citric acid already in it.

Then I just nuked it two minutes, let it rest 2 minutes, nuked 2 more minutes and let cool to room temp and rinsed. I didn't wrap it in plastic wrap, etc., no reason to.

It was all done in 45 minutes, including clean up time. It's hanging to dry now!

th_collage1.jpg

Very cool, Deneen. I think it could be addictive, lol....ok, I KNOW it is. I am Kool aide dyeing today too. But it is a surprise for my swap....I will send you a pic (if it turns out).

Can't wait to see how your yarn works up.:hook

Oooh, dying makes me so excited! :clap

Beautiful colour combo, Deneen!

Any idea what you will do with it?

I am clueless. I know I plan to make Dawn's Well Traveled Bag with some wool, the rest will have to talk to me!

It's funny, I was just reading your blog when I got the notification of your post here. Trying to see your "secrets" to dyeing.

Tommorrow it's egg dye!

Archived