Afghan Idea

crochetlady2012

Question

Good Morning!

I need to know if this might be a good idea! I just had an idea of making a C2C afghan for my husbands almost 92 year old grandmother! Thing is how big should I make? Would I be a really good idea for you? Would it be to heavy for her to cart around etc.? Any input would be great!

4 answers to this question

I'm not sure why a corner to corner blanket would be heavier than any other, you can make all sorts of stitch patterns on the diagonal--like a 'granny stitch' for example.  Here are a few free ones, some are lacier than others.  You could always use a bigger hook to make it drapier/lighter per square foot.  I agree a lapghan size would be good.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&query=corner%20to%20corner&availability=free&view=captioned_thumbs&sort=best

I do a c2c using either a J or K hook and worsted and just decreased  after 44 rows instead of the 55 rows and it comes out to about 36 inches square. The original was for sport/baby yarn but I prefer the worsted. It is not overly heavy  but nice and comfy and I use it for baby blankets. 

Roe

I like to use  an I hook and worsed weight for the c2c  - A.K.A. box stitch. I did a baby afghan with an F hook with baby weight and it seemed to take forever. You can make it rectangle instead of square. You work 45 - 50 rows (3 - 3 1/2 ft.) for the width. Then you decrease on 1 side and increase on the other (1 side gets longer, the other, stays the same). You continue until you get the lenght you want (5 - 5 1/2 ft.). Then you decrease both sides to the end.  24 in. X 60 in. would be a lap robe or shoulder wrap. I make scarves 6 - 7 rows by 60 - 70 rows (aprox. 6 in. X  5 1/2 ft.). I don't always count rows, just measure in./ft. You could make different colored or striped 6 or 8 in. squares with a sc border and sew them together.

Ellie 13

Archived