What does this hook do?

Cypros

I am a new member to this forum and am a crochet novice and history enthusiast.

I recently found an ivory crochet hook in an antique store and was curious about some features. The hook has a hole perforated through it and a triangular notch on the back side of the hook. I cannot think of what the purpose of the hole and notch is. I would think that running the yarn through the hole would cause entanglement. I am unable to find any other examples of hooks with such a hole and notch. Can anybody identify the function of these features? Is it possible that it is not a crochet hook but used for some other textile production?

The hook is about 6 inches long. The other end is broken off where there was another perforation. 

Any help identifying this tool and how it worked would be appreciated.

post-72828-0-32707000-1410512696_thumb.jpg

post-72828-0-85729900-1410512705_thumb.jpg

post-72828-0-98017400-1410512749_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The top left pic made me think of the shaft of my set of interchangeable steel hooks, the hook tips are flanged, and slip into the notched shaft, there is a little nut that screws over the join.  But, it would be daft to use fragile ivory for this, and there's no threads evident.  

And, the top right pic is really mysterious--is that the part you're calling the hook?  I've never seen one open like that.

Interesting indeed!

Archived