Bullion stitch?!

Rachel Firestone

Question

Ok, I saw a tutorial on how to do a bullion stitch but I can NOT get my yarn over thread to pull through the 8 loops I have on my hook. It's extremely frustrating! I love the stitch and I think it's really pretty, but I just can't do it. Any tips on an easier way to do this stitch? I'm using 4 worsted weight Caron Simply Soft and a Boye size I hook. My yarn frays so easily and I can't keep the end of the hook from catching on my loops. Please help =(

11 answers to this question

Use a straw.  Cut a small piece of a straw, slip it over your hook, and use that to do your yo's on, then you can slip the yarn through the straw.  It's a bit awkward, but it does work!  Good luck!!  

What a great idea (straw) for larger hooks and yarn.  

I was going to chime in and say I'd seen a tutorial (was not in English, but the visual was sufficient) which used steel hooks and thread (so a straw would have been too big).  The solution was different but the same idea - which was to cover up the hook as you were pulling that last loop thru.  You made the loops over the hook and  a darning needle held against the hook - (which loosened the stitches a bit), pulled up the last loop, then moved the eye of the needle so it blocked the hook as you pulled the loop thru to stop the hook from catching on all the loops.

Sorry to be late in responding - haven't been on the computer much the last few days!  :)  No, you don't attach the straw, which is part of the reason it's kind of weird getting used to it.  You hold it in place, but it needs to be able to move so you don't want to attach it.  I don't know if I can explain it any better - it's been a long time since I used the technique myself, after another crochet friend told me about it.  I wonder if there are any you tube videos that might show it?  Good luck!!

I found a video!  :D  This is the basic technique - she sliced her straw and rounded the corners, but hopefully this will give you an idea what I meant.  Of course, you could always just copy this technique, as it looks like it works really well!!  Hope this helps... :manyheart

What a great idea (straw) for larger hooks and yarn.  

I was going to chime in and say I'd seen a tutorial (was not in English, but the visual was sufficient) which used steel hooks and thread (so a straw would have been too big).  The solution was different but the same idea - which was to cover up the hook as you were pulling that last loop thru.  You made the loops over the hook and  a darning needle held against the hook - (which loosened the stitches a bit), pulled up the last loop, then moved the eye of the needle so it blocked the hook as you pulled the loop thru to stop the hook from catching on all the loops.

I saw a vid like that. I tried to do it but unfortunately, it didn't work for me :(

crabby rat,

oh wow! thank you for that vid! I actually have the exact same kind of straw AND IT WORKED!! Thank you so much!!

This is something I saw on YouTube.  It works quite well.  Hook, metal tapestry needle, and a little peice of plastic hose to hold it all together.  My husband found this hose for me out in his tool shed.  It looks like aquarium tubing.   https://www.flickr.com/photos/gaydenesse/5578668846/

When I tried bullion st, I pulled the hook through 1 loop at a time. The pattern was a round hot pad, mostly trc with bullions every so often. I don't know if working in cotton made a difference on not. It was slow going, so I never did bullions again. If I do, I'll try the straw thing.

Ellie 13

Archived