Searching forSize K, L or M ( 7.0 mm 8.0mm or 9.0mm) ergonomic hooks

Edgehill

The largest hook size available in the ergonomic crochet hooks sets by Tulip Etimo and Clover Amour is the size J hook (6.0mm)  This question was raised back in 2012 but in 2014,   are any of these hooks being sold in the larger sizes?    I am currently using a bulky weight wool and would really welcome the chance any of using these grips with the larger hooks namely Size K, L   (7.0mm, 8.0mm ).     

Edgehill

I prefer the white plastic Bates hooks for the larger hooks.  I have them all in the bamboo handles but they're just too heavy for my hands in aluminum.  I've found that, for me at least, the hook itself is large enough that I don't need the special handles when I get into the L, M, N, P or Q sizes.  Carpel tunnel surgery once on each hand was enough for one lifetime.  I'm very gentle on my hands and the larger sizes are comfortable for me to work with.

I don't like the Crystialite hooks from Red Heart in the larger sizes.  The plastic snags at the yarn - it's just not nearly as smooth as the white plastic Bates.  And they have a tendency to snap on me if my gauge gets a little tight.

I don't generally use Boye styled heads so I can't really help in that department.

I have the reflections hooks and I like them in spite of them being plastic.  I have some smaller sizes of them too and I use the H hook often.

I use the Crochet Dude hooks and like them a lot and they do come in some of the larger sizes.

Clover makes/made? a set of K, L, and N with an ergonomic handle called Reflections.  I have a set of these and while the handle is comfy, they are plastic hooks so I don't use them often.  I also wish they'd come out with a larger set of ergo hooks in metal.   :(

The Crochet Dude makes them in metal in those sizes.  Link is in my previous post.

• 2 weeks later...

I have subsequently found You Tube videos demonstrating how to simulate these ergonomic cushiony hook handles  with a variety of materials.

Materials mentioned include Gel Grips by Maxpen,   Gel Pencil Pillows by Office Depot,  or Pencil Grips by Merangue. 

This is a much cheaper method of obtaining comfortable cushiony handles for your larger hooks sizes. 

I looked at the Crochet Dude hooks in these larger sizes,  but they have Boyle style hooks and are very large,  and  will not suit crochet users who favor Bates style hooks.

Edgehill

Amazon.com carries the Addi-Swing ergonomic hooks in K and L sizes. They are pricey hooks though compared to other brands.

Drew Emborsky also carries K, L, N size hooks in his line of ergonomic styles. I have not tried these but heard good reviews. 

• 11 months later...

I see that Clover Amour now sells the K, L M and N    (6.5mm, 7.0mm, 8.0mm, 9.0mm and 10.0 mm)  hooks with their attractive  plastic handles,   but that the hooks themselves  are made of plastic instead of aluminum.  For people who have purchased them,   does this impact their efficiency?

Edgehill

Archived