Please help re turning.

TinaKB

Question

Hello, okay I'm teaching myself to crochet, but am very confused about turning :(

Do I do the turning chains before I turn the work or after? And, what's causing me most confusion is, after turning, where do I put my first stitch? There's so many different techniques that I don't know what to do.

Do I do the same thing on every row or just the first row after the chain stitches?

For instance, say I've chained ten stitches and want to start my first row of double crochet.

Do I chain three at the end then turn? And then where do I put the hook, and do I put it in the same place for the second and subsequent rows?

Sorry, this is all probably easy for you, but is causing me real confusion!

20 answers to this question

Hello thank you - I think I may have just grasped it!

So, I do my slipknot to start, then chain however many I need, let's say ten.

I then turn and insert the hook into the 3rd stitch hole and do a treble stitch and continue my first row of trebles. Chain three at the end - I prefer the end - then turn and this time I insert the hook into the first stitch hole and do the same for all subsequent holes?

Is that it?

Where do you mean to put a stitch marker? I'm not sure I know what you mean by at the top of chain three?

I am determined to grasp this - :)

As magiccrochetfan said, about the stitches, it threw me at first.  when you say treble, we mean double.

Anyway, after your first row, you turn and chair or chain then turn insert your hook into the next opening, not the very first on on anything, but the single crochet.  If you chain, then put the hook in the one the chain is attached to you will end up with an extra stitch. 

As for putting a marker, I did this when I learned, as I had trouble finding the third chain at the end of the second row, so I knew where to put my hook to finish row 2.

I'm working with 100% acrylic yarn double knit.

I'd like to try a throw or blanket, so am going to teach myself granny squares today :)

Yay, I'm glad it clicked! :idea

What kind of yarn are you working with?  If cotton, you could just practice stitches and call it a dishcloth.  If cotton or wool, you could aim for a hot pad.  If acrylic, you could try for a 'sampler scarf', or maybe a cowl. (I'm thinking of smaller things for more instant gratification!)

I can't recall what my first crocheted thing was, it was a long time ago!  But when I tried re-acquainting myself with knitting recently, I didn't try to make a 'thing' at first, just swatches for a bit.

Have fun! 

Woohoo, finally the penny has dropped and I've got it!

Thank you ladies :)

Okay any suggestions for something simple I can make?

I don't know how to read a pattern properly yet, so it needs to be something easy to follow.

I'm off of bed as it's just gone 11pm, but I'll catch up with you tomorrow.

Night night to my new friends :)

Hello,

Thank you so much for explaining. I think I understand now.

It's only that very first row that you insert the hook into either the 2nd 3rd or 4th chain, you don't do it on subsequent rows?

I'm still not sure where you mean to put the marker - do you mean in the top chain of the turning chain?

Phew, I'll get it eventually.

It would be so much easier if I could see a visual for this!

I'm going to use UK terms, as I think that's where you are.

Crochetcabana that Sarisue linked to is a wonderful site, it's in US terms but she gives very clear tutorials on the basics.

I'm going to have a wee disagreement with part of Tampa Doll's post number 6, (you make your first UK treble into the 4th chain, not the 3rd) and I'll explain why.  First, let's imagine the smallest possible row in UK treble stitches - that would be 2 stitches.  For that, you would chain 4, and make a treble in the 4th chain from the hook.  That 4th chain is taken up by a 'real' treble stitch, and the remaining 3 chains form a 'turning chain' that takes the place of the first treble in the row.  (a handy thing to remember if you want to invent something x stitches wide in trebles - you will always chain x+2 to achieve this).

If you look at the chain-3, the top chain (the one closest to the top of the 'real' treble) is the one you will need to use for the last stitch in the next row.  This is the one we're suggesting that you put a stitch marker into, to make sure you don't miss it.  Tip - don't pull this last chain really tight.

Now, imagine you're working on a row with more than 2 trebles, and you've already made the first row into the chain stitches.  Chain 3, turn (or turn, ch3, not sure if it matters but woudn't hurt to pick one and be consistent), skip the first treble of the row below, and make a treble into the next stitch.  The reason that you skip the first stitch is that the ch-3 takes its place.  Continue to the end of the row, make the last stitch into the top of the chain 3 (the one with the marker).  Take your marker out, and place it into the top of the next turning chain.  Repeat.

For UK doubles, the number of chains you make is the number of end stitches you want, plus 1.  The first stitch into the chain is in the second chain from the hook (the loop on the hook doesn't count).  For this stitch, the turning ch-1 does not count as a stitch, it just helps you turn the corner, so you don't have to mark it or try to make your last stitch into it.

Thank you ladies, I'm sure I'll get the hang of it :)

TampaDoll, I'm not sure I know where the 3rd chain is at the end of the row either, how do I find it easily?

Tina, welcome to the ville :hook

One thing you need to know as you research online and look at patterns and books is that there are 2 systems of stitch names in the English language, the US and the UK/Australia systems.  the stitches are the same but the names are different.  here is a table http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/38393-usuk-stitch-name-comparison-table/

if you work from a diagrammed pattern, the stitch symbols are universal https://number19.wordpress.com/2011/11/13/crochet-terms-in-us-uk-danish-and-german/

I will try help although I'm a newbie :) are you following a pattern? I would of said that after u turn and chain 3 that u would always need to insert ur hook in the 3rd stitch if u r always working in a triple crochet so that ur work stays even...wat is ment by a stitch market can jst be a scrap piece of wool jst slid through a stitch so u can remember that stitch...hope this helps xxx

Hello thank you - I think I may have just grasped it!

So, I do my slipknot to start, then chain however many I need, let's say ten.

I then turn and insert the hook into the 3rd stitch hole and do a treble stitch and continue my first row of trebles. Chain three at the end - I prefer the end - then turn and this time I insert the hook into the first stitch hole and do the same for all subsequent holes?

Is that it?

Where do you mean to put a stitch marker? I'm not sure I know what you mean by at the top of chain three?

I am determined to grasp this - :)

For the first row you insert you hook in the 3rd chain from the hook, you now have 2 treble Stitches.  If I were you, I would put a stitch marker at the top of the chain 3.  This helpwill keep your stitches even.

Now as for turning or not turning, the pattern will usually tell you, if not I usually turn then do my chain 1 or chain 3 which ever you need to do. mark the 3rd chain of the turning chain.  You do you next stitch in the next chain or treble if you are doing the next row.

If you are doing single crochet, you insert you hook into the stitch next to the chain.  Most times on a single crochet, the turning chain does not count as a stitch.

I hope I did not comfuse you and I am sure more will come in and help, or point you to a you tube to show you how it is done.

What I'm confused about is, if I'm going to do treble crochet, I do my 3 turning chains, then turn, then insert the hook in the 3rd stitch to start my first row of trebles, do I then insert the book in the 3rd hole on the second row and all other rows?

Do you know what I mean?

Sorry, I'm probably making it sound more difficult than it actually is!

Hello, okay thanks. Where do I insert the hook to start my first stitch, and do I insert it in the same place for each row? So if I put the hook in the second hole on the first row, do I do that for each row, or is the first row different?

I've replied to your PM. :)

Hello, okay thanks. Where do I insert the hook to start my first stitch, and do I insert it in the same place for each row? So if I put the hook in the second hole on the first row, do I do that for each row, or is the first row different?

Hi there!

Some patterns call for turning before or after the row. To be honest, I don't know if it makes a difference. Maybe someone else can clarify that. All I will say is that you need to be consistant. Do the turn the same way each time (where stated on the pattern ofc.). Written patterns vary from author to author so you need to make sure you read them properly.

Archived