Decided I need a scarf for me

LuvMyAngels

After a miserable walk to take my younger girls to the bus stop this morning I decided it was time to finally make myself a scarf.  8-9 years of crocheting and I have not made a single thing for myself.  I spent all day trying to figure out what I wanted it to look like.  All I knew when I started was it had to have a special meaning behind it...or I'd never finish!  I finally decided a white base with each of my girls represented by her favorite color.  I sat here working and called them each to me one at a time to make their choice.  Im not sure I would have used these colors together in any other project but I am really loving it in this scarf. 

post-27802-0-63118300-1386813951_thumb.jpg

Blue for Shaylyn, my 15 1/2 year old

Purple for Hannah, my almost 11 year old

Pink for Christina, my 9 1/2 year old

Red for Makayla, my 8 1/2 year old

I still have quite a few stitches to finish before its ready to wear.  Winter is cold,  wind chills into the -30 range arent uncommon, so I wanted a wide scarf that would be sure to cover any/all exposed skin.  This is 25 stitches wide, so far 9" long.  Im planning for mostly white with the colored stripes at each end...and maybe some fringe in the same colors (we'll see what it looks like when its finished).

It'll definitely bring a smile each time I wear it and each year when I pull out our winter things from their storage totes.  Some have jewelry with their kids favorite colors or birth stones, I will have a scarf with the same idea.

What a lovely idea to have your daughters choose the colors for you.

I am another that never lends the luxury to make myself something. All projects go to others except for a few of my paintings that the Hubster would not let me part with. What a great incentive you've been for me to make something for me!

And, if you need some encouragement to complete your project, just holler out. We are all behind you. Would love to see some progress pics!  ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I ripped out most of the first attempt, just leaving the bottom 4 or so inches (where the colors are), and changed to DC.  SC was just too stiff and not breathable enough.  It's about 46" long now, so very close to the end.  Even just using Red Heart Super Saver its turning out soft and snuggly....now lets see if it can handle the -30 degree wind chills Tuesday morning (crossing fingers they'll cancel school again and we wont really have to test this!).

post-27802-0-08706200-1388974543_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived