Sugar water stiffening

AmityL

Question

Hi!  I'm attempting my first crocheted ornaments and for generations in my boyfriend's family, they've used sugar water to stiffen.  Anyone I can ask is no longer with us, so I looked online for a stiffener recipe and ended up using a 2:1 ratio.  Afterwards, I saw other places recommended 1:1.  I'm not sure which is more effective, and the ones I did with 2:1 are drying funny and not very stiff.

Can anyone recommend the correct ratio or another stiffening option?  I'm using size 10 cotton crochet thread.

Thank you!  Have a beautiful day!

9 answers to this question

I always use a white glue/water solution. I keep a plastic container handy and just drop them in as I make them and them spread them out in small batches to dry. I also sprinkle them with that snowy glitter when they are still wet, they come out nice.

I used the sugar solution years ago, something chewed on them while they were stored away, so give a warning to your giftees not to pack them in the attic.

This page has a lot of info on stiffening them, I'm sure you can get some help there.

Sugar-water stiffener can also attract ants and other household pests- especially in any kind of humid area! The white glue/water stiffener or laundry starch is the best way to go. These also help prevent yellowing.

1:1 sugar water is pretty stiff--actually I only used it once but it was, mmm, probably 30+ years ago for some Christmas bells in gold thread and they are holding up great.  Since mine are gold I can't tell about yellowing, but I'm not in a humid area and must be lucky with the pests.

The only thing with white glue is it makes the thread a little dull.  I usually don't measure, but probably use no more than 50% water with the glue.

You can wash out the sugar and redo them. I've even washed thread snowflakes in the washer, in a mesh laundry bag. I did not put them in the dryer, but used Allene's stiffener liquid and reblocked them. 1:1 water and white glue (Elmer's) works too. If the glue method is too matte looking for you, you can brush them after they are dry with a gloss medium.

My  mom had one of those balloon Easter eggs stiffened with sugar.  She put it out every year for at least 20 years.  That last Easter was very humid.  It melted and made a horrendous mess to clean up.

I would wash out the sugar.

I really like old fashioned Argo starch powder but when I want something really stiff I use Elmers/water in equal parts.

Archived