Very frustrated

Zhaylin Black

Question

Is there no hope for me :P

I cannot read patterns.  I've tried for, easily, 15 + years.

YouTube has been a tremendous help because I can SEE the work as it progresses.  But everyone, so far, loses me with rounding corners and raising the work (as with purses and bags).  I can't quite see where the work connects ("hidden" stitches and such).

Any recommendations on where I should look?

20 answers to this question

Thanks for the reassurance :)

I've never used needles to hide my work before.  I've used hooks to hide the tails, but I've never tried the weaving before.  I've seen it done with the needles recently and it does seem much more secure (I had always just sort of weaved the tails along the foundation- not into the stitch).

Darn pattern reading again lol.  I just sort of "play it by ear" (or eye, as the case may be :D ).  I never learned how to read patterns.

Thank you :)  I'll try it both ways.  I've been working on small projects for experimenting.

I figured out the Coin Purse video, for the most part.  Working with plarn, I've discovered they make excellent cases for balls of plarn or yarn.  Just feed the end of the material through the bottom hole.

Thank you for the suggestion :)

I had been terribly under-stocked of pretty much everything.

I hadn't any paperclips or safety pins.  I bought bobby pins and they're working great so far.

I'm confused about where to place the marker though.

If I'm working in a circle and I have to crochet one chain before making my first stitch- does the marker go into the chain or the first stitch lol

I've tried yarn, in the past, but it gets lost too easily for me.  I bought the needles I wanted and looked for markers but they only had knitters marks.  I'm going to pick up some bobby pins later today and give those a try :)

I want to work on basic granny squares until I perfect the art of turning lol

Yeah I need stitch markers as well. You never know when you have to stop and get up. I just use a lenght of scrap yarn and tie it loosely around the stitch I need to come back to so I don't have to worry about losing my count or my spot, especially when I am working rounds that don't join.

I am looking forward to tomorrow.  I'm going to buy some markers and needles once and for all :)

I ALWAYS mess up with connecting.  It sounds like markers will be an invaluable help.

The needles should help because I like my stitches very tight.  Using a hook to weave my tails is nearly impossible and incredibly time consuming when I can work it.

Not sure what you mean by needing yarn thread for hiding tails.

You should leave at least a 6" tail to weave in.  You may not weave in every bit of it, but you need room to maneuver the needle.

If you want it really secure, split the plies and weave half in 1 direction, half in the other. 

I weave through the middle of the yarn, not around it, and weave for a couple of inches, anchor the thread around a loop of the yarn, then turn and weave back the way I came.  Sometimes I'll change direction if I don't split the plies to reduce bulk, but weaving the same area in 2 directions, through the yarn, makes it pretty indestructable.

I don't weave my tails until I'm done, in case I change my mind and rip out to change something, because they are NOT coming out. 

I was always scared my work would unravel too, but I have learned that it's not going to happen. After I make my last stitch I just pull the tail end of yarn through and then use a tapestry needle to weave in a couple inches worth of yarn. The trick, for me anyway, is just taking your time with it and not feeling rushed. I make a couple small passes one way, then go back the opposite direction, and then repeat that one or two times more and I've found it's plenty to hold the piece together. I try to weave the tail ends into the middle of stitches, so that the stitching is "hidden" as well as possible, and I just feel the ends are a bit more secure that way. I also prefer to work on the wrong side when weaving in the ends. Again, it's all just personal preference.  :)

MANY, many thanks everyone!

I go shopping on Monday.  I was already planning on buying some yard thread (for hiding "tails").  I'll add some loops to the list :)

I also don't understand how to end my work.  Not really.  I always have a lumpy knot because I don't trust the methods I see.  I'm always fearful the project will unravel lol.

Seems I have much to learn and to work on... and, it seems, I've found the perfect place for help  :manyheart

You might also have to loop a small piece of thread or yarn to the 3rd chain of a beginning chain 3 of a round (which counts as your 1st DC.) so you can see where to join at the top of the chain 3.

You need to use st markers. Put a marker in the first st of the round so that when you come back around you will know exactly where to attach with a slst.

My thoughts exactly. I almost never use stitch markers anymore but sometimes with certain yarns or patterns if I am finding that my first stitch/chain is a little difficult to see I grab the stitch markers and put them to use. Also if I am doing something that's worked in a spiral rather than joined rounds, I always use stitch markers to keep track of how many rounds have been worked. They're a cheap investment that will save you a lot of headaches!

You need to use st markers. Put a marker in the first st of the round so that when you come back around you will know exactly where to attach with a slst.

My problem is, mostly, when to join my rounds.  I think one of my problems is that I'm hooked on my "H" hook and some chains are just too hard to see (that's what I meant by hidden).

Once I wake up, I'll take a gander at your link and use a bigger hook so I can see what I'm doing :)

Goodnight.

to make the box shape, when you get to the sides, you just have to be sure you do not do any more increases.  count your stitches when you have completed the bottom, and be sure you only do that many stitches on the rounds of the side.

for the oval, do you have a problem with every round of it, or where does the problem start?

it sounds like one of your difficulties is in joining your rounds, not knowing which stitch to join into.  See if the section here http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/tutorials.html on working in the round is any help to you.  

Thanks for the welcome :)

I cannot round (?) my work.  Even something as simple as

leads me to banging my head against the nearest wall.

My biggest problem is when you complete the "circle" to connect it back to the work.  I always hook the wrong chain which throws everything off.

I even messed up

Beautiful bag!!  But that is WAY out of my league lol

I've mastered things like 

When I say raising my work, I mean basic box shapes like

Thanks again!

Welcome to the ville :hook

When you say bringing the work forward, are you talking about textured stitches like this? http://www.freepatterns.com/detail.html?code=FC00661&cat_id=337

Can you link us to some patterns that you've had problems with?  I don't know what you mean by hidden stitches.  

Are you mainly wanting suggestions for patterns that are presented as videos?  

Archived