My vintage doilies centerpiece

Afghaniac

Just thought I'd share my latest crochet indulgence with you.

I love delicate, lacy doilies -- especially the ones that have turned a little dark with age. If my fingers were nimble enough to crochet with thread, I'd make them myself and tea stain them. But since that's not an option, I pick up one or two to add to my dining room centerpiece whenever I find them at an antique mall, and as I admire each one I imagine how  each one being crocheted  by someone else who loved her craft. I limit my selections to small sizes, small prices, thin thread, and shades of ecru. And these little purchases allow me to go home satisfied with a new pretty without breaking the bank... I've thought about sewing them together, but I kind of like the randomness of placing them however I like.

post-1473-0-31414500-1370632447_thumb.jpg

post-1473-0-80774100-1370632479_thumb.jpg

What a nice way to display an assortment of small doilies!

I buy old doilies, too. I feel bad knowing that someone put so many hours into making them and they end up being sold for pennies.

I use them all around my home wherever I can, it's my way to honor those old crocheters that came before us, and maybe secretly hoping that the ones I make will be treasured by someone, someday.

So pretty!  What a neat idea to group them together like that. 

When I see them in the shops I like to wonder about their former owners/makers.  So sad that they are sold for pennies like you said. 

• 3 weeks later...

I love the way you have them displayed. You have an artistic eye! I love to "save" doilies from thrift stores. What are antique malls? We don't have any here in California that I know of.

I love the way you have them displayed. You have an artistic eye! I love to "save" doilies from thrift stores. What are antique malls? We don't have any here in California that I know of.

Antique malls are large indoor spaces that house multiple antique vendors' booths, or miniature antique shops. buyers of all vendors' goods pay at a cashier in front. They are fun to browse through. But I have to say that at most of them these days I rarely see what I would consider real antiques. Mostly "vintage" or even new stuff. The other day I saw a piece of wall art I'd seen a week earlier at A Ross store!

• 2 months later...

Archived