whatchamacallit

Kristy Taylor

Question

ok the little rotary cutter (I think) that you can use to cut spaces in a blanket evenly so u have the holes to do a crocheted edging. I cant find one anywhere around and the lady at ben franklin was trying to look it up for me. Anyone know the name of it. only thing we found was 30.00 wow I would rather use a ruler and razor blade

6 answers to this question

miscellaneous random information.

"The" Slip Stitch Blades

www.skipstitch.com/

DO fit into most standard handles for the 45 mm Rotary tools used in Quilting & Sewing

like this one:  http://itsalljuststring.com/cut-rotary-43/rotary-cutting-45mm-tool-107522505.html

The Simplicity Deluxe Rotary Blade DOES NOT fit into standard handles - it is designed to be used with their "Deluxe" Rotary Cutting Machine -

The June Taylor Rotary Cutter Blade, well let's just say it is not what you want, does not work the way you might think and certainly has some quality issues even when used for its "intended" purpose.

As far as handles are concerned, go someplace where you can try a few (like a quilt or fabric store - most chains only have one brand) - my hands are considered to be rather small, so I found the Japanese/Clover handles to be quite comfortable - comfort level can make a huge difference in accuracy.

One of the reasons the real deal - THE Slip Stitch blades are priced as they are is the high production cost.  SEVERAL major rotary blade makers looked at producting them and even with larger production runs it just would not have made that much difference in the price. Given the labor intensive production factor, they really are well priced. 

As a sewist, I had a selection of handles available to try with the blade - but my issue was that there is not a satisfactory means to sharpen the blades (the sharpeners for regular blades does not work well)  If you are only going to do a few a year, it is certainly a time saver and it will depend on how you value your time - even if limited production.

Again as a sewist, I have other options available to me, I have found that a wing needle used either with hand or machine techiques is a quick and easy way to make and mark the placement of the holes. 

As a bonus it also works nicely with other fabrics (Slip Stitch more or less requires you are using a Knit that "self heals" when pierced) and allows me a LOT of latitude as to the distance between the holes so it can be more appropriate to the base fabric.

Hope This helps

Tip:

I use my sewing machine to apply "holes" for crocheting edges into fabric and it works very well for me.

Use machine needles #16 or #18 needle , depending on fabric weight- cottons or cotton blends,

set the machine stitch size to desired length, 

check that bobbin is removed and do not use thread,

sew at a moderate speed to make even lines of openings.

Easy, accurate lines and quick!

Archived