pulling yarn help

Kimi

Question

18 answers to this question

For folks who were looking for pictures :photo

Making a center-pull skein: http://www.onceuponapattern.com/custom/pullskein.html

Using the balloon method: http://torsades.canalblog.com/archives/2004/12/18/221069.html (I keep meaning to try this to see if it's any easier. The site is in French but the pictures are self-explanatory, I don't think there's even any text with them...)

Hope that helps!

I've been wanting a winder for ages, since handwinding definitely fatigues the arms and wrists. But many of the machine wound cakes I've seen are pretty loose, which my hands wound ones aren't, and seem likely to fall apart or tangle. Is that just user error, or do ball winders not wind taut balls??

The yarn winder is totally worth the $$$, imo. Being extremely frugal, I just waited until Joann's had a 50% off one item online coupon and bought it (then bought as much yarn as I could without upping the shipping price). I've been happy ever since!

i use a homemade nostepinne to wind centre-pull balls. there's a video showing how to do it here or google "nostepinne". i just got a square of thin cardboard (cereal packet) and rolled it round to make a tapered cylinder. i wound it all round in duck tape to make it smooth and cut a notch at one end to hold the yarn end. works a treat :)

you can use a small balloon to do this too .. you tie the end to the part of the balloon you have tied off after blowing it up a bit.. then wind the yarn around the balloon.. in a ball.. then pop the balloon and pull it out .. and it will be a center pull ball

What a great idea:day

you can use a small balloon to do this too .. you tie the end to the part of the balloon you have tied off after blowing it up a bit.. then wind the yarn around the balloon.. in a ball.. then pop the balloon and pull it out .. and it will be a center pull ball

thank you, that makes sense...i'll give it a shot.

thank you everyone for your help...:)

Nope, I don't have a winder - I just wind my balls to look like I do. I start to wrap them at a diagonal while rotating, so instead of ball shaped they end up cake shaped. They don't roll around or fall apart that way.

I should add that I do wish I had a winder, since after doing several balls my arms/wrists get tired, but whenever I have a spare $40 it always goes to yarn and not the darn winder. :devil

I could probably do a picture tutorial if you're interested.

I would love a pic tutorial if you wouldn't mind! I always have such a hard time with the skeins that don't have center pulls and such... And even if they do, sometimes they still get all knotted up...

Nope, I don't have a winder - I just wind my balls to look like I do. I start to wrap them at a diagonal while rotating, so instead of ball shaped they end up cake shaped. They don't roll around or fall apart that way.

I should add that I do wish I had a winder, since after doing several balls my arms/wrists get tired, but whenever I have a spare $40 it always goes to yarn and not the darn winder. :devil

I could probably do a picture tutorial if you're interested.

I rewind most of my yarn into easy to use center-pull cakes before I work with it, and this holds doubly true for skeins that are difficult to work with. For me, a little extra time at the beginning saves a ton of hassle in the end.

again, im a beginner...when you say you wind it into easy to use center pull cakes....how exactly do you do that?...do you have a store bought winder?...what does a 'cake' look like?

i apologise for these stupid questions...i just really dont know all the terminology yet.

Is the yarn in a skein or a ball? I read this good tip, about yarn in a ball, find an old teapot, and put it in there, and pull the yarn out of the spout, that way the ball of yarn won't run away on ya!

I'm having a problem with a 16oz skein of yarn, couldn't find the centre string, and tried and tried to pull some out, but it won't go. so, i ended up taking it from the outside, which makes it awkward, especially for a large skein. :-(

yes, a skein...and not even large ones, just your average joe size of 6-7ozs...if i cant find the center yarn and pull from the outside one, its a real nuisance...i've been searching tips, and i see someone say about winding it on a toilet paper cardboard...i guess i'll start saving those.

today i started working with some red heart plush, and even the center pull is a nuisance...i can see im going to have to wind some of that...:(

If I get a skein that does not have the center end sticking out (and it seems that most I buy don't) I just poke my thumb and index fingers into each end until they meet and kind of wiggle them around to try to get to the center. Then I just pull any old strand out. It usually comes out with a little extra bunch of yarn, but it's easy to find the end then and use up the bit that came out with it. Then you're good to go.

thank you!

im having a good amount of trouble right now with some red heart plush...even with the center pull strand...its driving me NUTS!

Is the yarn in a skein or a ball? I read this good tip, about yarn in a ball, find an old teapot, and put it in there, and pull the yarn out of the spout, that way the ball of yarn won't run away on ya!

I'm having a problem with a 16oz skein of yarn, couldn't find the centre string, and tried and tried to pull some out, but it won't go. so, i ended up taking it from the outside, which makes it awkward, especially for a large skein. :-(

If I get a skein that does not have the center end sticking out (and it seems that most I buy don't) I just poke my thumb and index fingers into each end until they meet and kind of wiggle them around to try to get to the center. Then I just pull any old strand out. It usually comes out with a little extra bunch of yarn, but it's easy to find the end then and use up the bit that came out with it. Then you're good to go.

Archived