I need a starch

O-Castitatis-Lilium

Question

Hello everyone,

I have just finished the lace cross project I asked about a few days ago, I believe, and now I need a really good starching product for it. The thing is though, is that the thread I used is a really nice white and I would rather it not turn yellow. I'm going to have it in a frame so I'm sure that will help but, I don't want to get a starching product and have it turn the gift yellow. 

Now, I have heard about this one starching technique that deals with elmer's glue and water but, I really couldn't find even a ball park figure for the proportions of glue to water. I would try it, but I'm a little worried that it might yellow and again, I don't even have a ballpark figure of the ratios lol. 

If anyone can give me a few starch product or even concoction I would be forever greatful lol.

Thank you in advance to everyone that posts, incase I can't quote you to do it personally ^-^

6 answers to this question

I haven't had glue water items turn yellow, but then I've used it for stiffening snowflakes & angels which aren't out in the open, in the sun, all year long.  I am not very scientific about it, but it's probably close to 50/50 for snowflakes, but if you're going to frame it (not have it need to stand up by itself) you could use less glue more water (and less chance of yellowing).

I think it's the plant-based starches that tend to yellow anyway.

Use equal parts of Elmer's Glue and distilled water to stiffen or Mod Podge Stiffener by Plaid is ready to use out of the bottle. It can be purchased at almost any craft store or Wal-Mart. Plaid's-online Mod Podge Tips and Tricks. Hope this helps some.

I haven't had glue water items turn yellow, but then I've used it for stiffening snowflakes & angels which aren't out in the open, in the sun, all year long.  I am not very scientific about it, but it's probably close to 50/50 for snowflakes, but if you're going to frame it (not have it need to stand up by itself) you could use less glue more water (and less chance of yellowing).

I think it's the plant-based starches that tend to yellow anyway.

oh..see I, it makes sense that plant based ones might yellow lol, but like you, I wouldn't know for sure lol. OH! i can test out your idea about the glue starch on a mistake cross that I made, if it works, I will actually have another piece that I can gift away...I guess I couldn't call it a mistake then lol :P

Use equal parts of Elmer's Glue and distilled water to stiffen or Mod Podge Stiffener by Plaid is ready to use out of the bottle. It can be purchased at almost any craft store or Wal-Mart. Plaid's-online Mod Podge Tips and Tricks. Hope this helps some.

that sounds good too, though I would go to the micheal's that's nearby lol, the walmart that is nearby isn't very craft oriented, they have a very small craft section unfortunately, thanks for the advice ^-^

The crosses and small doilies I have in picture frames are up against the glass.  I was told that they shouldn't touch it and to use a deep frame.  It's been quite a few years and they still look great.

I use either argo starch and hot water or spray starch.

Archived