crochet in the round, coming out ruffled

jennybbrooks

Question

I am crocheting circles and increasing by 12 each round and it is coming out ruffled. I have started over numerous times and decreased my hook size 3 times but it is still ruffled. I am trying to sew a pillow top so it needs to be several rounds but each time I get to the 4th round it starts ruffling. Please help. It's driving me crazy!!

5 answers to this question

Although not what I would recomment, Changing hook size is not likely to help unless you try a slightly smaller hook - sound like beginning at the 4th round

My preferred suggestion would be to reduce the number of increases - as evenly spaced as possible and see if the fourth round lays flat.

OR it may be that you need to add increases as ruffling can sometimes be caused by to few increases

Or it may be that your tension is changing and thus your gauge as well. It is not uncommon for the first few rows of a project to be perfectly on gauge, but as we get more relaxed with the sequence our gauge changes.

Hope one of these helps.

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

-

This happens to me, too. I find the only thing that helps me is to intersperse a "straight" row into the rounds--one row with no increases. Usually I have to do one straight row every 5 or 6 rounds.

I am crocheting circles and increasing by 12 each round and it is coming out ruffled. I have started over numerous times and decreased my hook size 3 times but it is still ruffled. I am trying to sew a pillow top so it needs to be several rounds but each time I get to the 4th round it starts ruffling. Please help. It's driving me crazy!!

What stitch are you doing?

If DCs, you start with 12 and increase 12 each round for a flat circle.

If SCs, you start with 6 and increase 6 each round for a flat circle.

Of course, you might be using a different stitch which may need a different formula.

Have fun.

Colleen

Cupping: edge circumference is too small for the diameter

Solution:increase the # of stitches, or decrease the diameter by omitting row(s) or using shorter stitches

Ruffling: Edge is too big for the diameter

Solution: decrease # of the stitches, or increase the diameter by using row(s) of 0 or fewer-than-usual increases or using taller stitches

Everyone's tension and stitch height is different, those (like me) who make squatty stitches will tend to have ruffling issues, while those who make taller stitches may have cupping issues.

The way I was taught is that you chain in the circle the amount of stitches your pattern requires. The first row is sc in each stitch. Second row: 2sc in one stitch and 1 sc, repeat around. Third: 2sc in one stitch, 2 sc's, repeat around. Fourth: 2 sc in one stitch, 3 sc's, repeat around. You keep increasing the stitches in between by one stitch each time, you see. Single crochet can be a little tricky, as it has a tendency to ruffle. If that happens, crochet a row of single crochet stitches all around with no increases to straighten it out, then resume your increase pattern.

Archived