Boxing Day 2013

pineknott

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Donna, you sure have been busy finishing things up. All of the afghans are great. I have an affinity for anything scrappy, but I must say that I love the pnk baby star in the middle picture.

I'm plugging away on my new goal of using up all the Caron One Pound by the end of the year. The sunflower round ripple above was the first. This one uses up a color I really dislike, the One Pound Taupe. It looks better in person than in the photo, and someone who likes neutrals might like it, but it is a totally uninspired piece for me since I'm a color junkie. I bought it online and was not happy at all when I saw the actual color. At least it's done.

post-39480-0-80367200-1374710657_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Finally have a picture.    I made one of these mats during the July charity weekend but never got a picture.  The other one was finished recently along with the one toy.  One of my friends asked for a large mat so I made that last night.  It still needs the tails tucked in!

post-13802-0-74776600-1375658149_thumb.jpg

Hello welcome to August,oh thats right its 10 August,all this drama here has to let up so I can get things done

and keep this active along with others.

the hats are still sitting idle,did get one scarf done,working on two Harley Davidson squares,then on to a 12 inch brown square blitz for someone.

<p>I had an enforced vacation from my apartment parking lot being closed for repair for FIVE days. It was not going to work to me to park somewhere on the neighborhood streets when I don't off work until 11:00 pm, so I took some vacation time, parked my car at a friend's house and just stayed home. I got another round ripple finished from the Caron stash I am determined to use up - this one with Cape Cod blue, azure (a weird blue to my taste) and sage. I have another nearing completion from this pattern:</p>

<p> </p>

<p><a href="http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crocheted-country-star-afghan">http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crocheted-country-star-afghan</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm doing it more or less like the top sample on the left. I have a lot of white to use up. It's been an interesting pattern, and one I will probably use again. Unfortunately, the original pattern has 24 (24!) tiny granny squares used to square it off at the end. Isn't going to happen. I LIKE octagons. I see that in the projects posted, others came to the same conclusion - LOL!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I also got starts on two others, just begun at this point. A solid pink in snapdragon stitch, and one using Lace, Forest Floor, Nutmeg, and Espresso in this pattern, also new to me, that I like so far:</p>

<p> </p>

<p><a href="http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/juicy-fruits-and-whipped-cr%C3%A8me-throw">http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/juicy-fruits-and-whipped-cr%C3%A8me-throw</a></p>

<p> </p>

<p>I delivered the 5 I had finished to my contact person on Sunday. She said that now she is taking them to the cancer center of the hospital where she works in administration.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

I got two new foster kittens about two weeks ago.  One has been real sick and she had to go back to the shelter Wednesday.  The cat care manager is trying to figure out what is wrong with her and get her on the right meds.  I hope to get her back this weekend.  Her brother really misses her.

Here are the kennel blankets I got cut with some fleece I got for $2.99 a yard!  Yay for inexpensive!!

post-13802-0-23460600-1377288053_thumb.jpg

I finally finished the pink lapghan in snapdragon stitch. it seemed to go on forever, miles and miles of pink. I won't repost a pic here - it's in the August charity CAL. 

I've lost track of what I have done for donation. Or at least, I don't know without looking it up and my list is at home. I think my signature is incorrect. Someday I'll remember to fix it.

I'm working mostly on another round ripple - a very bright reddish orange and bright red. Cheerful doesn't begin to cover it - LOL!

Glad to hear you are moving on to another project Donna!

This is the first year my signature is correct.  I don't "count" anything until the day I post a picture. That is why I post pictures of cat mats even though they all kind of start to look the same.  That reminds me to update my siggy and I feel a sense of accomplishment!

I didn't get to try those stockings for the soldiers yet, and now I have less than 2 weeks to empty my entire craft room so we can get the flooring put in. Yikes! It's like a black hole.  I have packed up 8 of those big old plastic bins and drug them to storage, but my room looks the same.  Help!!??

What a job! I remember the last time they offered at the apartment to shampoo the carpets and I agreed. It was awful. I had to pile everything in the tile dining room. Never again. Of course now with the birds, I couldn't anyway because the carpet shampoo fragrance would probably be too much. That sort of thing can kill finches. Good luck with it.

I brought in a couple of stitch pattern books to work and several colors to play around with patterns for some more solid color lapghans. They need to be fairly open so I have enough yarn without buying more, but solid enough to hold their shape in a piece that large. A fine line.

Happy Labor Day,the summer has seemed to fly by or is it just me?

I am finally out of my crochet slump,in the past month have done 8 twelve inch squares,haven't done that in a while

I need to get back to the hats for the homeless,right now I have about 12 inches on a pink scarf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought some fleece blankets at Goodwill - it seems like it was ages ago, you know with plenty of time before Halloween?  Well, I got them cut up into kennel sized pieces and took them in when I went to tend to the cats at my Petsmart store last night. How did it get to be October?? 

post-13802-0-33530500-1381000690_thumb.jpg

I really haven't done much for charity, or anything this year. I think my signature was behind again, so I updated it to 10 lapghans, but that may be incorrect. I'll have to check my list at home. I finished the last two One Pound projects I had started. Well, two of the three and I frogged the third. I had completely lost in interest in that one. The pics of these two are in the September charity CAL. I don't think I still have them to post here. They were a solid light blue, and one with "beachy" colors in a seashell pattern. 

I doubt I will get much more done for charity this year. I'm trying to make a shawl or two for myself - it can be very cold at work and I junked the fleece wrap I had been keeping here as just too disreputable for public use. I also need to do a promised afghan for a friend. I had started in a stripey blue boucle, but really didn't like the shades in the yarn. Blue was her request, but after consulting she told me to pick - anything would be ok, so I'm using a striping dark red. I'll finish  up the blue one for donation, but that's "someday." It will be larger than I usually make, but boucle is very resentful of trips to the frog pond, so I'm stuck with it, unless I can think of something else to do with it. Of course, I could just mutter c'est la vie and toss it.

Here I am ,late to this thread AGAIN

I agree,time is going too fast to be Oct. already

ddc,even one thing made for charity has worthy merit

Sept I was able to get alot done,so far for Oct. I have one completed hat and one with three rounds started,I really hoping to get approx. 15 hats done this month,and the same next month...dang last yr. I had the hundred done by August...this yr is only 50

cause my daughter should do her own share

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got another cat mat finished. It's a little bit bigger for use in larger kennels. (I put a normal one next to it for comparison) you can see by the yellow/green sections that when I finish one, I just start another!

post-13802-0-29676100-1382910881_thumb.jpg

I do accidentally find color combinations I like (and dislike) while making these mats.  I put very little effort into "chosing" the next color I tie on when a scrap runs out, so it is always very random!

HI, just thought I would post, i just today delivered 7 baby ghans to Project Linus!! About a mile away, in a quilting shop, is where the local donation station is, sooooo every now and then, I run a few over!! Forgot to get pics, oh well, lol there were four round ripples and 3 shell stitch variation baby ghans in pastels......and I had a small box of hats going to a gal here on the ville! Ill post again,with my next donation but I usually don't keep track of them too well, lol     thanks.

Archived