Boxing Day 2013

pineknott

Denise,

how did that marathon day of making things for the shelter  turn out? somehow I missed what the outcome was

with Spring in just a couple of days,it would be nice if it warmed up some,today is drizzly and a really damp cold,hmm doesn't feel like 40 out there.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, I just love the blankets, hats and that dress!  Wow, you guys are amazing. 

Our marathon day had a few glitches.  3 people couldn't make it at the last moment and one sewing machine crashed and burned.  But we did finish:

23 beds

34 pillows and 274 toys.

All of the toys are not in the picture.  One girl took home 190 of them to clip the fringes.  I will also attach a picture of what they look like close up.  I still have probably 500 toys cut and 50 more beds cut!! 

post-13802-0-31384100-1363976683_thumb.jpgpost-13802-0-85633200-1363976726_thumb.jpg

Also, here are pictures of cat mats from the February weekend blitz and from last Saturday night. I am pretty sure I am the only member of the ville that watches MMA, but there was a good fight card last Saturday night and after sewing all day, I made two more mats while watching TV.

post-13802-0-24599200-1363976937_thumb.jpgpost-13802-0-71925600-1363976983_thumb.jpg

wow,there are going to be some happy and comfortable cats at that shelter

I have never had much luck sewing fleece on my machine,its like the fleece has a mind of its own

Yeah, fleece is funny. It's hard on the machine I guess because of it's density and it does move a lot.  But luckily, I wasn't trying to make pajama pants or anything. So if the ends don't match up exactly, it's not a problem.

Denise....what a great mess of kitty toys and beds!! I can't do fleece in the machine either, my sis is great at it but the talent has not worn off on me. You are not the only one who enjoys the MMA fights....Henderson is from this area and has a gym a few miles from here. I don't pay for them but usually catch the free ones or the ones at a bar. Quite a few bars around here have them playing. 

Those baby clothes are so adorable! There are going to be many lucky babies out there!!

I may have to dig out my box and get some things out in the mail soon. 

The lady who owns this house wants to move back in.....we found a local one but dh landed a job at the Harley dealership he wanted to work at when he graduates next year so.....we are moving closer to his school/work to make it easier on his busy schedule. We found a beautiful house which we will get the keys the last few weeks of April. It's going to take us several weeks to move and clean since I work 40-50 hours a week and he does 12 hour days with work and school. Life throws you a curveball and you just gotta swing sometimes! It's amazing how your best laid plans can change in the matter of days. LOL! 

oh yes,life and its curveballs,we were 48 hrs to flying out to a new duty station in Morrocco,said country even the service  member needed a passport,okay down to 24 hrs. orders to a new duty station were cut- Sicily, but our household goods were long gone to Morrocco,took two months to get those things that weren't in our suitcases!!

Denise....what a great mess of kitty toys and beds!! I can't do fleece in the machine either, my sis is great at it but the talent has not worn off on me. You are not the only one who enjoys the MMA fights....Henderson is from this area and has a gym a few miles from here. I don't pay for them but usually catch the free ones or the ones at a bar. Quite a few bars around here have them playing. 

Those baby clothes are so adorable! There are going to be many lucky babies out there!!

I may have to dig out my box and get some things out in the mail soon. 

The lady who owns this house wants to move back in.....we found a local one but dh landed a job at the Harley dealership he wanted to work at when he graduates next year so.....we are moving closer to his school/work to make it easier on his busy schedule. We found a beautiful house which we will get the keys the last few weeks of April. It's going to take us several weeks to move and clean since I work 40-50 hours a week and he does 12 hour days with work and school. Life throws you a curveball and you just gotta swing sometimes! It's amazing how your best laid plans can change in the matter of days. LOL! 

First, I just love the blankets, hats and that dress!  Wow, you guys are amazing. 

Our marathon day had a few glitches.  3 people couldn't make it at the last moment and one sewing machine crashed and burned.  But we did finish:

23 beds

34 pillows and 274 toys.

All of the toys are not in the picture.  One girl took home 190 of them to clip the fringes.  I will also attach a picture of what they look like close up.  I still have probably 500 toys cut and 50 more beds cut!! 

attachicon.gifIMG_0509.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0511.jpg

Wow, you accomplished a lot, despite the glitches.

Also, here are pictures of cat mats from the February weekend blitz and from last Saturday night. I am pretty sure I am the only member of the ville that watches MMA, but there was a good fight card last Saturday night and after sewing all day, I made two more mats while watching TV.

attachicon.gifIMG_0513.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0515.JPG

Nice work. Those will make for some happy, comfortable kitties.

Thanks for the compliments on my work. I enjoy making baby clothes and I'm thankful that they will help someone.

Susan, I wish you luck with moving. We've lived in this house for 35 years and moving would be overwhelming for me. I keep saying that I'm going to declutter, but it seems I can always find something else to do.

Boy,do I need to kick things into high gear

yesterday I finally fininshed a scarf that I started before Christmas

a long time ago I  made my daughter short bathrobe of flannel fabric,it danced around on the machine,but nothing like the fleece did

• 4 weeks later...

So it's been too quiet around here lately.  I finished 4 cat mats and one toy during the weekend blitz and then made two more cat mats last Saturday night (during, yes, another MMA fight)  I had misplaced my camera but I found it last night so I hope to have pictures soon. 

I got a new dishcloth pattern yesterday and saw someone else's finished item IRL, so I am excited to try that one this weekend. 

And I haven't made a hat in ages, so I might cool on the cat mats for a week or so. 

It is hitting 100 degrees here pretty much every day and it will only get worse.  This is when I try to stay inside as much as possible.  Don't know how I ended up in the hottest place on earth.  I think Susan is from Phoenix too.  How do you all cope with weather you hate? (Rain, snow, heat)

We take care of a cat that our neighbor lost interest in after he stopped being a cute kitten.  He can't live inside because he sprays as the people never neutered him (Yes, I finally did) and today we are picking up an air conditioned dog house for him.  Hope he's smart enough to use it! 

Here is what I finished during the charity blast weekend.  I have done two more mats since then but they are not washed yet, so no photos.  

post-13802-0-38352200-1367547683_thumb.jpg

And here is the new house.  The air conditioner is attached to the back.  So far the cat is terrified of it!!

post-13802-0-88886000-1367547865_thumb.jpg

sorry its been so quiet,I had been trying to get here at least once a month

mil lives with us,she is going down hill fast with alzthimers,for the past three weeks its really been draining

on the good news front,I have about 15 of my 50 hats done

Two more cat mats I recently finished.  Making these teaches me lessons about colors that surprise me by looking wonderful together and some that I think are so, so bad!! 

post-13802-0-53903600-1368071977_thumb.jpg

I also found the color combos that I never thought would go together,with the hat making there was a michael's varigated that went well with kelly green as well with red, giving them both,totally different looks that were pleasing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, I just realized that it has been two weeks since anyone has posted here!  That's a heck of a dry spell.  I took my fosters in because they were old enough for spay/neuter and adoption.  I came home with 3 more.  They are tiny and one just doesn't eat well, so I spend a lot of time after work syringe feeding the little thing! Then I have to go to bed early because I have to get up an hour early for work and spend that time syringe feeding again.  So, whew. 

But I did get to work on some fleece beds for just a bit last night.  That was a nice break. 

I just treated myself to a book called "Crochet One Skein Wonders".  There are some fun things in there I'd like to try.

But for now my goal for the weekend is to just finish *something* so I can post a picture and get this CAL fired up again!

PS, 110 degrees here in Phx today.  Blech.

I totally dropped out but I'm back. Right after the first of the year I was so burned out on crochet I switched over to cross stitch, and that did such a number on my thumb that I went to an extended run of jigsaw puzzles -  :lol ! But I've just started crocheting again - it really is the best. So I'll track the charity projects again this year.

I have two in progress now. A scrap granny that I just want done, done, done, and a 14 point round ripple. I've just ordered a boatload of DK yarn from Deramore's - I drooled over ALL the colors and exercised precious little self-discipline with that deadly "add to cart" button. I'll start playing with that when it comes, and the first thing with that will probably be for myself. However, I have loads of want-to-do patterns in mind though for the rest of my stash, so I'm sure I'll get a fair number of lapghans done for charity too.

I remember someone posting pictures of the cross stitch they were planning to attempt. They were very complex. Was that you?

Well, we are glad to have you back with us!!

Darn it all,real life keeps me away

not much progress for me in May,just 2 hats I think its because I didn't really want to do hats again,kind of burned out after last yrs 100

Denise,Bless your heart for going that extra mile for those teeny tiny foster kitties

Archived