Blog Etiquette Question

pb&j

Here's a question on blog etiquette for all you knowledgable blog people: I recently got a blog and am having enormous fun with it but need to learn more about the ins and outs of blog etiquette. My question is:

When someone leaves a nice comment at your blog and you want to acknowledge them or answer them back, how do you do that? Do you leave another comment at your own blog or do you send them an email or what? :think

I don't want to offend anyone by being ignorant!

Well, I usually just respond with another comment. Occasionally, I will send emails, but that is usually saved for sensitive matters that I don't want to write about in the comments and let everyone else read. Most of my blog readers are friends that I've had for years, though, so we're a lot more informal because we know each other so well.

I don't know what is proper and correct, but I answer them with another comment on my own blog.

Here's a question on blog etiquette for all you knowledgable blog people: I recently got a blog and am having enormous fun with it but need to learn more about the ins and outs of blog etiquette. My question is:

When someone leaves a nice comment at your blog and you want to acknowledge them or answer them back, how do you do that? Do you leave another comment at your own blog or do you send them an email or what? :think

I don't want to offend anyone by being ignorant!

On the subject of blog ettiquette, I feel so nosy, but sometimes I'll arrive at someone's blog through a search of a topic (like crochet patterns) or as a friend of a friend of a friend. Is it proper to comment if something I read inspires me to do so? I actually came across Crochetville browsing through crochet patterns and finding someone's blog. Then when I got here, I realized I already "knew" several people that post by browsing blogs.

On the subject of blog ettiquette, I feel so nosy, but sometimes I'll arrive at someone's blog through a search of a topic (like crochet patterns) or as a friend of a friend of a friend. Is it proper to comment if something I read inspires me to do so?

Sure. You'll make the day of the blog owner. :)

HnC

My question is:

I, for one, really enjoy it when I comment on a blog and get an e-mail reply. That's fun! (I may be a minority, though.)

On the subject of blog ettiquette, I feel so nosy, but sometimes I'll arrive at someone's blog through a search of a topic (like crochet patterns) or as a friend of a friend of a friend. Is it proper to comment if something I read inspires me to do so? I actually came across Crochetville browsing through crochet patterns and finding someone's blog. Then when I got here, I realized I already "knew" several people that post by browsing blogs.

Sure! I think it's ok to comment if you really like something they wrote! In fact, I've seen a few comments on some blogs that say something like, "Hi, I came across your blog when searching for XYZ on Google, and I just want to say you're so funny!" Seriously. I have seen comments like that. I think most bloggers get a kick out of knowing they have a bigger readership than they'd originally thought. Hehe. :D

I generally respond to comments by posting comments. I have sent email before, though, if it was a sensitive subject.

As for posting on blogs you cross by "accident"... I love to see new people commenting on my blog. I've made at least one new wonderful friend who I plan to meet in person soon. I "met" her when she crossed my blog by clicking "next blog" on blogger and started commenting.

Usually I reply by email--that's the easiest way for me. If someone asks a question that other people might be interested in the answer to, I usually mention it in my next entry.

That said, I'm a total flake and a lot of times reply to comments either late or never. I generally read my email in the morning Before Coffee and am not coherent enough at that point to reply--and then by the time I'm not so fuzzy later my brain has flitted off to something else. I never mean to be rude or ignore people, it's mostly that I'm disorganized and forgetful :blush

The only "problem" with replying to someone in a comment is that I know I don't always go back and re-read comments if I've already left one. I read ~300 fiber related blogs (using my feed aggregator) and unless I subscribe to the comment feed (I normally don't) as well, I won't catch a reply in the comments...

So I usually reply via email so I'm sure the person who left the comment will see it.

Thanks, folks! I see that one can go either way, comment or email. Whichever way I respond, I'll endeavor to keep up in a timely manner. :)

I'm with both Stacey and xantha. I reply to comments via e-mail (although, like Stacey, I'm not always timely about it! :blush ). Occasionally, if the answer will be of interest to other people, I'll post in my own comments as well as via e-mail.

When I leave a comment at someone else's blog, I never go back to see if they've replied with a comment unless it was something important and I'm wondering why I haven't heard from them. I think many folks would agree that with everything going on (this forum, other forums, reading blogs, blogging, responding to comments, etc.) :juggle there's too much going on to remember to go back and recheck comments I've left to see if there's been a response.

Archived