The heat????

I have had hooks break before - plastic ones - when I've pulled a bit hard to get a stitch through but this one broke under very little pressure.

post-4896-135897768958_thumb.jpg

Could the heat have caused the weakness to give at this time? This is not an expensive hook. :(

Yes, it definitely is possible. I filled balloons with helium over the weekend and all they were doing was sinking.:lol

Boy is this heat unbearable.

Wow Darski! Look at the strength in those hands! You DO give those hands a good crochet workout all the time. Maybe you're stronger than you think!

Actually, I have a couple plastic hooks a friend left behind when she moved away, and when I've used them, I've had my doubts about them holding up for very long. I don't think I'm a very ferocious crocheter, but those hooks have definitely bent when I've used them. I have wondered at what point they could snap.

I've heard of plastic hooks breaking from the cold. If the molecular structure is affected by the cold, why not the heat? The heat is awful here ~ between 90 and 100.

I don't do very well with plastic hooks at all - I guess my grip is too hard or something.

Could the hook have been a little old? It might have also gone through periods of hot and cold in the past, making it more brittle in the present.

Awww, that's sad. But I don't use plastic hooks because I had so many of them bend or snap on me. Those incidents were a long time ago, (about 30 years ago, before AC was an essential to me and we just used fans or tolerated). Plastics do tend to be affected by temps, so it is very possible that was the cause.

I generally only use the larger plastic hooks - from a 6.mm and up. I bought this one because it was a light up hook and I wanted to try it. I have had it for about 3 years and I used it fairly often because of the handle in place of all those metal 4.5's that I have.

Seriously, I was just drawing the last thread through the last loop to finish off. :eek and I have little strength in my hands at all. I am thinking it was the heat - 90` in my apt yesterday.

Yup, must have been the heat! I have some of those hooks too.

personally I could do with less heat! it has been really ot and humid here in Saskatchewan. It had cooled down but now has been spiking up again, ick!!!!!

I'm glued to my air conditioner today!!!!!!

Archived