Breast Cancer Hat

My friend has breast cancer. I would like to make her a hat. I was wondering if anyone knows of a pattern using caron simply soft? I would like to make her one and if she likes it would like to send her some for the ladies she does chemo with. Please make sure the pattern is specificly for Caron simply Soft yarn. THANX!!! :hug

I made my own chemo caps (2) using Caron Simply Soft yarn. The pattern I used is found on both the Crochet Pattern Central website and/or the Red Heart website and is called "Head Hugger Cap." It's a design by Edie Eckman and made with Red Heart Super Saver (RHSS) yarn. I have made it with the RHSS yarn but they were for winter wear and donated to my church's clothes closet. The ones I make to donate to my oncologist's office I use Caron Simply Soft. For the adult sizes I have used either a J or I hook. I have also added my own variations to this basic pattern to give people a choice. Hope this helps you.

I have a friend who makes them all the time for a local doctor in our area. She said that they asked her to use cotton yarn to make them. Hobby Lobby's I Love This Cotton is the softest one around. I would think the acrylic yarns like simply soft wouldn't let your head breathe and may be too hot?

I have a friend who makes them all the time for a local doctor in our area. She said that they asked her to use cotton yarn to make them. Hobby Lobby's I Love This Cotton is the softest one around. I would think the acrylic yarns like simply soft wouldn't let your head breathe and may be too hot?

For summer that may be true, but in winter they need warm hats. I've begun making the hats I'm going to donate mostly in cotton at this time of the year

I made my own chemo caps (2) using Caron Simply Soft yarn. The pattern I used is found on both the Crochet Pattern Central website and/or the Red Heart website and is called "Head Hugger Cap." It's a design by Edie Eckman and made with Red Heart Super Saver (RHSS) yarn. I have made it with the RHSS yarn but they were for winter wear and donated to my church's clothes closet. The ones I make to donate to my oncologist's office I use Caron Simply Soft. For the adult sizes I have used either a J or I hook. I have also added my own variations to this basic pattern to give people a choice. Hope this helps you.

If I make the "Head Hugger Cap" and use Caron Simply Soft I should use J or I hook? Do I need to double it? Would ILTY work better for summer? :hug

Any acrylic yarn is going to be warm for summer. Just try to imagine wearing a winter hat when it's 90 degrees out. Granted- it's cool or downright cold in some hospitals but I think for summer - cotton's your best bet.

There's some great sun hat patterns on ravelry.

krazycrocheter, I always use a single strand of the Caron Simply Soft to make the chemo caps. Currently I am making some dish/washcloths using the I Love This Cotton yarn from Hobby Lobby. I agree it is a very soft cotton yarn and would make a nice chemo cap. But from my own experience I found I needed a warm cap no matter what the weather was like outside. Last year I lost my hair between the last of February and the first of March. It was not until late November first of December that I finally had some hair. Even than it was shorter than Jamie Lee Curtis' hair. Besides the head hugger cap I made another cap to wear also. It's called a "Slouchy Beanie" and was designed by CrochetSpot/Renee. You can find it here in Crochetville. I loved how it would lay across the back of my neck. With all my hair gone my neck had a tendency to get cold very easily. I also used acrylic yarn in making this cap.

I would make chemo caps in acrylic even for the summer months. But you could also use cotton as there may be some people who are not as cold natured as I am. I also think the chemo and just plain not feeling good can affect how you react to the heat or cold.

For someone with a small head I would use the I hook. For a larger size cap (maybe for a man) use the J. My tension used to be tight so I almost always used a J hook. But for some reason in the last year to year and one half my tension is more loose now so I switched to an I hook. Play with both hooks and see what you like.

Agree check what yarn and hook the pattern calls for but each person's tension is different I crochet tight so I go up a hook size..here are a few I made for a co-worker who was loosing her hair as you can see I they range in size/shape/design..She has a tiny head and a had to alter them after I made some due to being too big to make 1 and see how big it is on her. Keeping track of the yarn type/hooks style as well as what type of hat she desires so may want a bucket style and you may end up making beanie and have to remake. Someone that was making cancer/chemo hat for a organization request from me the granny style pattern and the bucket pattern so who am I to figure out what someone would want LOL..Check w/ the person your making it for :O0

The pink/yellow style was made with Peaches and Cream cotton

The white one was also made with Peaches and Cream cotton

The green style was made with Peaches and Cream cotton but was HUGE!!

The Blue/Green Slouchy hat was made with RHSS Acrylic

The Red Baseball hat used the same as the pink but Different yarn and different hook due to the thinness of the yarn My fave and her's was the red due to the softness of Hobby Lobby Cotton..

post-35509-135897764925_thumb.jpg

post-35509-135897764928_thumb.jpg

post-35509-135897764933_thumb.jpg

post-35509-135897764936_thumb.jpg

post-35509-135897764938_thumb.jpg

Archived