Learning...

rebbylicious

Ok, so I have been trying to teach myself how to knit and I can not for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong. Do any of you know of of the best and simplest video to teach me?

You know, I got a book geared towards children in a kit, and for the life of me I end up doing a purl when i mean to do the knit! My garter stitches look rather nice, but im thinking I need to learn that other stitch! LOL

My other problem is that I'm left handed, and that ALWAYSgets me confused.

Ok, so I have been trying to teach myself how to knit and I can not for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong. Do any of you know of of the best and simplest video to teach me?
Try www.knittinghelp.com for excellent videos. They're short, concise and well-done. Plus you can see how to execute either English or Continental knitting and there are videos on individual techniques.

My other problem is that I'm left handed, and that ALWAYSgets me confused.

I'm not left-handed but don't most leftys just knit like everyone else? After all it takes two hands no matter what.

Je-rel, did you know that there is really only one stitch in knitting? When you look at a knit stitch from the back it is a purl stitch.

I second the recommendation of knittinghelp.com for clear and concise videos and explanations.

Oh great, then I'm doing BOTH STITCHES WRONG! Checkingout that website now. When I looked at the instruction book, it gave different dirction for each hand, but both confuse me...

Oh great, then I'm doing BOTH STITCHES WRONG! Checkingout that website now. When I looked at the instruction book, it gave different dirction for each hand, but both confuse me...

I would guess that you are just knitting when you mean to purl, and purling when you mean to knit.

I have also been learning to knit for the last few years..... I can do some now and a big help to me was you tube. One of the posters I view frequently is from verypink.com. There are lots of videos out there, for me it helped to watch multiple times as well as lots and lots and lots of practice. I still consider myself and advanced beginner, but I am comfortable with knit and purl. And I have lots of garter stitch dishcloths as a bonus.:) I have branched out a little to scarves, shawls, and even a sock.lol Good luck

I second knittinghelp.com. What a godsend when I decided, for no good reason, that even though I knit the continental combined way my mother taught me (I didn't even know it had a name), that I needed to learn to knit the American/English way. I sat there, playing those videos over and over and over and over and knitting along with her.

Good luck! Suddenly, it just clicks and then you're thinking "Oh hey, that wasn't so hard after all!"

Patty

I am a new knitter and along with help from my LYS gals, YouTube has been a huge help. I had trouble tinking (unknitting/unpurling) a row and I figured it out from YouTube.

I never heard of knittinghelp, so I look forward to using that as a resource, too!

Have fun!

Archived