Will Someone Please Explain This to Me?

What is dk yarn? I looked online and they said it was between sport/baby yarn and 4 ply. If this is true which do I use? Would it be smarter to go bigger? That way the items will fit. Please help me! TIA!

It depends on what you are making. DK yarn is a #3 yarn Baby yarn is usually a #1or#2 yarn. Regular yarn is a #4 yarn. It might also matter

what colors you want to use. You might want to check a lys and you would

be able to see and feel the difference.

You're going to need to make gauge swatches to see what hook size will be needed to get gauge with the yarn you choose. This is especially important when making garments, because you want the finished item to fit correctly.

:cheerDK is also called 8ply and is worked on a 4mm hook which I think is the same as a G in the US.

I always look at the needle size on the ball band to work out what an unfamiliar yarn will compare to.

Gives you a bit of an idea.

If you have a pattern which recommends DK, just look at the hook size and compare it to the yarns you normally use with that size hook.

Hope this helps a little.

Have fun.

Colleen:cheer

DK is double knit and is most equivalent to our sport weight yarn.

Baby sport yarn is usually yarn that's designed for babies but it's made in a sport weight rather than in a baby weight, which is even lighter. Most of the time it's just baby colors, but made in sport weight. It's kind of confusing.

Another good example of this type of confusion is the Vanna's Choice yarn. Vanna's Choice is worsted weight. Then, there's Vanna's Choice Baby. "Baby" is in large letters on the front of the label. You would assume it's baby yarn, but take a good look. It's worsted weight also. The only difference is that it's baby colors.

It would be much easier on everyone if the manufacturers were clearer on the front of labels. How hard can it be to print visibly on the front "Baby Colors in Sport Weight" or "Baby Colors in Worsted Weight"?

Real Deal is right, that has always bugged me when a pattern says 'baby' or 'sport' yarn, they might as well say 'some kinda yarn' because that's about how specific it is.

For US-made yarn you really have to go by the US yarn weight classification which is inside a picture of a little skein of yarn on the label. Even then, some yarns aren't marked; as a last resort you could go by wraps per inch (WPI) but that's hard to do in a yarn store, or if you pattern doesn't say what you need. Here's a guide, notice they say 'baby' for weights 1 & 2 but I've also seen it for 3 & 4 and higher (lofty baby yarn), and I've seen sport in size 3) http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html

Wraps per inch chart http://www.woolfestival.com/articles/wpi.htm

Speaking of that, a lot of US designers will say '4 ply' when they mean 'US Yarn weight classification'. 4 ply has no weight meaning in the US but is is a very specific very fine weight in the UK and Austrailia.

What is dk yarn? I looked online and they said it was between sport/baby yarn and 4 ply.

in "today's world", DK is aka/ Double Knitting and a very popular weight among the yarn producers primarily selling into the Independent Retailer market.

. In US TERMS, yes, it is between a Sport and US 4 Ply (a term mostly used for things like RedHeart Worsted) (4ply is often used for an ENTIRELY different weight in Au and UK terminology)

If this is true which do I use? Would it be smarter to go bigger? That way the items will fit. Please help me! TIA!

Bigger how/where/when. What type of project - what is the gauge called for I could go on and probably pass 20 questions before being able to give a proper answer.

Meanwhile, you may find this chart helpful. I spend MANY MANY hours/days gathering and compiling that info, not to mention double and triple checking the info by doing swatches.

If you find any errors, please let me know, although I will say some of my entries are not in agreement with other folks.

Please feel free to print a copy for your individual use, but please do not repost, rather provide the link to anyone who you feel may find it helpful.

http://itsalljuststring.com/pages/yarn-label-xref-pv-c0-11.html

HTH

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

Archived