how

how do you prevent crocheted dish cloths from shrinking . do you make them a little bigger? after i washed and dryed them, they srunk. i know ites a dumb questions. thank you nana

The ones made from worsted weight cotton always shrink. There is no way to keep them from doing that unless you wash in cold water and air dry. Or buy some of the cottons that are blends, they shrink less. I have found making tawashi's from cotton/acrylic blends are the best for me. They still shrink a little, but not like the all cotton ones. Maybe someone else has other ideas, but I have gotten used to throwing out the old ones (they also tend to stain alot) and making new ones every few months, it is still better and cheaper than all those smelly sponges.

I make a lot of 100% cotton bathcloths using mostly dishcloth patterns. I always throw them in the washer in hot water, but I hang them to dry. They've never gone through a dryer and none of them have shrunk. The people I know who do put them in the dryer have had them shrink, sometimes considerably.

If you want to put them through the dryer, maybe it would help to make patterns in dc and tr sts, plus add extra rnds or rows. Only use sc for edging.

To me, it doesn't matter if they shrink. I'm just doing dishes with them. But does using a cotton blend yarn help?

:manyheart

I find that they shrink somewhat, but when you get them wet they 'grow' again. I wouldn't make them much bigger personaly because you'd end up with a wash blanket instead of wash cloth!

"wash blanket instead of wash cloth!" :rofl :rofl

Archived