I found an incredible yarn shop over the weekend. In Meredith,NH called patternworks. They have a great yarn selection and great clearance prices! But I still cant help but question why there is always such a small crochet section or anything crochet at all. This shop had the most to offer for people who crochet then YLS closer to me.

And because of this I have been thinking about taking up knitting! There are so many patterns I cant take advantage of because I can only crochet.

Most local yarn shops are like this. Many think knitting is superior to crochet. Now, you can just say sweetly, "do you know machines can knit, but they can't crochet?" A friend of mine smiles and says "I only need 1 needle, not 2." We have to keep asking them to carry more supplies for those of us who crochet, and explain how much crochet has grown. Many people enjoy both knit and crochet, and it seems ridiculous that there should be any problem at all.

Jean Leinhauser did an article on this once. She's noticed that trend that knitters will spend a small fortune on the better yarns and make more wearables where as crocheters will use the more affordable yarns and make more afghans and accessories. I don't know enough about it to comment either way BUT I do use more affordable yarns and make tons of afghans.

Okay let;s start with yarn is yarn.

I crochet, weave, spin, bead, braid, quilt and when forced to do so knit.

It is up to you to choose the quality and characteristics you deem suitable for your project. Then you can decide where to buy it.

When in comes to Hooks and other tools, the fiscal reality is that crocheters - do not - will not spend for either yarns or tools what a knitter will.

Much as I love crochet and have long been its champion in the indie retailer community...

It is also true that I have had to personally accept that we cannot rely on the support of the crochet community - but I have to say, every time I read this complaint I have to strongly resist writing a serious reality check reply. (this one is very gentle really)

Nor can any indie retailer afford to compete price wise. Simple reality, I pay more for a box of hooks thru our distributors then you pay for them using 40% off coupons.

Bottom line, IF YOU WANT MORE CROCHET in independent retail outlets - you need to shop there.

Presently 82% of our yarn sales are to knitters and 14% to "other fiber users, and that leaves 4% to crocheters - and I know some of them are knitting with the yarns not crochet.

with numbers like those - why would any retailer want to invest either in the inventory or the time to learn more about the techniques. Just makes no business sense. And, no, this is not a chicken and egg situation - or least not in the real life of a retailer in this century.

You will have to start buying from them so more will consider it worthwhile to carry crochet only items.

I am not even saying you should buy from me (although I hope you will and use the CV coupon so a portion of your sale goes to support CV)

but even if it is a bit more of an investment, I sincerely hope you will consider buying from Indie Retailers be they Brick or Click in YOUR country whatever that is - else soon enough your only choices will be fewer.

Wheat

falling off soapbox, in severe danger of breaking an ankle from this height

P.S. Patternworks is and always has been a great resource -

I finally went into a LYS that moved one town over (and now within walking distance from me) to see what they had. I will admit, the yarns are beautiful but way out of my price range. There were a lot more crochet books and leaflets, which did surprise me and also a nice collection of crochet hooks. I happen to mention that I am a crocheter first but do have tons of knitting needles and have to relearn (more to say I can can do it) the purl stitch. She said to come in anytime for help, she also crochets but knits and then had to throw in that she "is going to learn to knit backwards". All the samples shown using the yarn available were knitted items.

If I could afford the prices (the most expensive I happen to see, could have been more that were higher, was $21.75 for a little skein of yarn), I would purchase. But under the circumstances I am in right now, I can't. And also, since most of my projects are for charitable organizations, I need more affordable and easy to use yarn.

Maybe I should buy a mega millions ticket, it is only up to $476 million. Then I could buy all the yarn everywhere. LOL.

LI Roe

I guess the Patternworks shop in Meredith is the same company as the online store Patternworks.com ? they have a nice web site and print catalog...wish I could remember if i have ever ordered from them! One neat thing is they have a "test drive" for specific yarns http://www.patternworks.com/landing/yarntestdrive.aspx

I just hope that crocheters will continue to explore LYS. There are plenty of shops that have a positive attitude about crochet. (and apparently a few shops are snobbish toward a lot of knitters too, based on what I have read online, so they are equal opportunity snobs:lol)

I agree with Wheat, in order for LYS to cater to crocheters, we gotta shop there! I am happy that the swap theme this year encourages LYS shopping http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=134847

Most LYS I have been in have had some exotic and/or higher-priced yarns, which would be great for a special project or as a gift to a friend who crochets. they usually will also have a selection of moderately-priced yarn, which in my expereince will offer greater choice of colors, fiber, and texture than the craft store brands. LYS also have sales where you can find really good deals.

My mother owns her own business and I am her right hand (wo)man. So I know what its like to own your own small business first hand. So, I totally agree about always shopping at a LYS. This is something I prefer to do but I am limited to only purchasing yarns.

Ideally I want to walk out of a LYS with a bag full of patterns and books. This is what discourages me the most. This is what I wish my LYS would carry more of. I want to find amazing patterns and then find the perfect yarn for that pattern in the shop. I don't want to be limited to big box stores. or ordering online.

I'm not saying shops have to go broke and "cater" but a little variety wouldn't hurt. I know 100% if the LYS closest to me offer way more crochet anything I would be stopping in at least once a week.

My mother owns her own business and I am her right hand (wo)man. So I know what its like to own your own small business first hand. So, I totally agree about always shopping at a LYS. This is something I prefer to do but I am limited to only purchasing yarns.

Ideally I want to walk out of a LYS with a bag full of patterns and books. This is what discourages me the most. This is what I wish my LYS would carry more of. I want to find amazing patterns and then find the perfect yarn for that pattern in the shop. I don't want to be limited to big box stores. or ordering online.

I'm not saying shops have to go broke and "cater" but a little variety wouldn't hurt. I know 100% if the LYS closest to me offer way more crochet anything I would be stopping in at least once a week.

How do you feel about buying patterns directly from the designer? There seem to be a lot of designers selling patterns online now, or sites like Tangled selling patterns. That seems To me like it is a good way to directly support the designers.

I can do both, knit and crochet but prefer crochet more for many reasons.

Primarily because I can produce more with crochet than with knitting, which gives me the advantage of making more charity objects, or whipping up a lovely gift in a shorter time frame. I find knitting to be slower (for me) and now that I have arthritis and tremors, it is easier for me to control one hook over 2 needles. I love using the finer yarns and they drape beautifully with clothing, but have a hard time with dropping and loosing stitches on the thinner needles.

Yet I can still manage the steel hooks (above a 10) for doing doilies. I have had a lot of knitters ask me about crochet stitches I use for joining squares or making borders, as they admire those finishing touches.

There is only one LYS near me, and it is devoted mostly to knitting, but it is OK. I live on a budget and will occasionally splurge on something more expensive, but most of my work goes to charity so keeping costs down means more yarn and more warmth and love for the recipients in the form of afghans, hats, scarves, etc....

It doesn't matter how it gets done as long as it is being done...

I do that as well.

Now that I have an ipad, i am appreciating having things in digital form, at least for magazines and single patterns. Haven't bought any e-books yet... Publishing is changing so much, it will be interesting to see where it is in a few years, and what options we have for buying printed books.

Now that I have an ipad, i am appreciating having things in digital form, at least for magazines and single patterns. Haven't bought any e-books yet... Publishing is changing so much, it will be interesting to see where it is in a few years, and what options we have for buying printed books.

The digital world is marvelous, but some of us (not all) can't afford to go that route. Also (as I have said many times before) if there ever is a power problem (as scientists think may happen with a solar flare) what good is it. There has to be a balance between all digital and good old fashioned text in a book. I take comfort that I can always use my books, even if there is no other access to information. :hook

The digital world is marvelous, but some of us (not all) can't afford to go that route. Also (as I have said many times before) if there ever is a power problem (as scientists think may happen with a solar flare) what good is it. There has to be a balance between all digital and good old fashioned text in a book. I take comfort that I can always use my books, even if there is no other access to information. :hook

I definitely see where you are coming from! My desktop is eight years old and many functions are no longer do-able on it. It was a lot more affordable to get an ipad than to replace it;). I do think sometimes that i could lose what i have downloaded on the ipad, or not be able to access it. But given the overcrowded state of my bookshelves, digital makes sense for me for magazines. It is so much easier to find what i want in ibooks than dig through the magazine storage.

How do you feel about buying patterns directly from the designer? There seem to be a lot of designers selling patterns online now, or sites like Tangled selling patterns. That seems To me like it is a good way to directly support the designers.

Personally, given the nominal profit in self publishing - Please do help keep our design community healthy by purchasing the work of Independent Designers.

I knit and crochet...here is what i have figured out when it comes to tools hooks, needles etc...i have one of each size crochet hook...it is very easy to take it from one wip and use it on another...I have multiples of knitting needles sizes. It is not as easy to take a set of needles from one wip and use it on another...it is much easier to go out and get another of the size you need than fiddle with putting stitches on holders. perhaps this is why there is much more knitting supplies in LYS than crochet? just a random observation from a bi crafty lady.

Very good point Chrissy, but I am not good proof of that as I still have tons of hooks, because I like different manufacturers styles and an assortment of woods, metals for different yarns, :lol. And as for yarn I used to have 11 tubs full, purchased from Etsy, Ebay, LYS and Big box stores.

Not knowing everyone's circumstances, we each individually have to make the decisions based on our own needs.

Indies are very talented and integral to the crochet community, I wish we all could afford to indulge in their talents.

Archived