yardage for the Seraphina shawl?

PJ

Question

Hey everyone,

Can someone tell me about how much yarn the seraphina shawl requires? I tried the rainbow boucle and just hate working with it :thair , so I'm going to start over. I’m thinking of using a nice soft WW yarn, just not sure how much I need. If anyone has made it using another yarn, what did you use?

Thanks in advance!

15 answers to this question

I'm just finishing that shawl using the rainbow boucle and I've used a LOT more than other people seem to use making it .. maybe because I crochet tightly? I used a K hook and am about 2/3 of the way through a skein and not done yet! Granted I'm close, I'm going to put one more row on and finish the front edge, but I'd heard I could get 2 shawls from one skein and it's just not happening for me :( The boucle gets easier to work with as you go along, PJ; I'm to the point where it's mindless for me, but it was sure tough to get used to. Anyway, that didn't answer your question at ALL, but the reason for my post was ... I'd like to know this too!

I would think this would be pretty variable. It would depend on the hook size, yarn used and how big you want to make it. I think the rainbow boucle is somewhere around 850 yards. I am working on this shawl in that yarn and I am almost done. I won't use the whole skein. Maybe 3/4 of it, or slightly more than that, using a K hook. So using that info as a guide, maybe you can decide how much of the yarn you need to buy for it. Hope this helps.

I just dug out my pattern to take with me this weekend and happened to glance at the last page.

It says that an N hook and 4 skeins of lion brand homespun works very well. there will be yarn leftover to do a fringe and make a snood.

Hope this helps you, I am going to try the rainbow boucle.

Marvie, it's beautiful! I'm actually thinking about using Wool-ease for mine; how do you like it? Is it nice and drapey?

Marvie, your shawl is lovely. It makes me want to pull mine out and get back on it. I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to get mine finished after reading all the remarks about having trouble with the pattern. It's going to be a real challenge for me.:( I WANT a Serefina Shawl like yours.

I was still pretty new to crocheting and reading patterns when I made that. There are a few errors in the pattern, but with all the pictures she gives you, if you follow the pics you'll be fine. Once you get past the first 8 rows (or however many it is till the pattern starts to repeat) you've got it made and really won't even need the pattern anymore. Trust me =) If I could do it, with my very limited skills at that time, anyone can do it.... just be patient and check those pictures =)

Yarnelf, I'm doing a Serafina in Rainbow Boucle at the moment and trust me, it gets easier to work with as you get used to it. As for the pattern on the Serafina, I agree with Marvie ... follow the pictures. As soon as you hit the repeat on the shawl it suddenly all makes sense and you won't need pictures or written instructions any more, but to get there follow the pictures and you'll do fine :)

In the interest of making sure I had enough yarn, but didn't buy too many/too few skeins, I decided to go with Pound of Love for my first Seraphina. That way I'll only have two ends to weave in, and maybe I can even get 2 shawls out of it. I've only done the first 8 rows, and so far so good. The yarn's pretty soft too, so it should be pretty cuddly. :)

In the interest of making sure I had enough yarn, but didn't buy too many/too few skeins, I decided to go with Pound of Love for my first Seraphina. That way I'll only have two ends to weave in, and maybe I can even get 2 shawls out of it. I've only done the first 8 rows, and so far so good. The yarn's pretty soft too, so it should be pretty cuddly. :)

You should EASILY get two shawls out of that yarn - with lots left over. Of course, that's unless you make the shawls both knee-length, lol!

The yardage requirement is entirely dependent on the thickness of the yarn you use along with the size hook. The thicker the yarn and the larger the hook, the less yarn will be required (and you won't be as likely to end up with a shawl of 25 shells per side as stated to be the "average" in the patter, or it will almost be way too long). My first Seraphina was a short one, only about 13 or 15 shells per side (I'd have to dig it out to verify), and I used well under 600 yards of a worsted weight cotton blend yarn for that. My next one was a laceweight which took about 1500 yards (though 1200 probably could have sufficed, but I wanted it looong) using an E hook.

So, the answer to "how many yards" is - it depends! But you can probably figure a minimum of 400 yards for a shorter version up to 800 for an extra long using a regular worsted weight yarn.

Also, figured I'd mention it here again, but for those who are having trouble following the pattern as originally written (there are errors and omissions, mostly omissions), I do still have my edited version (complete with all the pics properly lined up to print on the same page as their counterpart instructions) available, in both a regular zip file and a self-extracting version which for some folks has been problematic to get through the email filters but is much easier to use, especially if you are short on computer skills. PM me and I'll be glad to forward it. I am sure those who have already made this shawl will agree with me that once you grasp this pattern sequence, you will probably not even need the pattern again. Hopefully my editing will help folks with getting that part more quickly. It's a wonderful shawl, and I for one deeply appreciate that Doni shared it with us. I have several more planned, as soon as I can find time. :hook

Marvie,

That shawl is ABSOLUTELY Beautiful!!!!!!!! Where Can I find that pattern? It is perfect for a sleeveless dress I just bought and am planning on wearing to a business/dress-up function. I almost went out and bought another dress because I couldn't find anything pretty and lacy to go over it. Thanks to this site I have found that and so much more.

Could you please let me know where to get that pattern ASAP as my function is next Thursday and I will have to crochet my little heart out all weekend to get it done.

Thanks a million

Yarnbunny

Guess I should have read the whole thread before I jumped the gun and asked for a pattern.

Now my quetion is: What is PM and how do I do it? So I can get this pattern.

Thanks for your patience

Yarnbunny

PM=Private message, click the person's name and you'll see an option there to send them a private message =)

Glad you found the info, I wasn't around yesterday! Thanks =) I love my shawl, use it often now that it's gotten chilly here =)

Archived