How do you slip stitch into a chain space with a new thread?

nemomum

Question

Hi there,

I am working on a Ferosah painted doily pattern. I know what a slip stitch is but I just don't think I can be doing this correctly. When one has a chain space and a completely new length of thread to slip stitch into the space the tail is loose. The next instruction is to chain one then do a sc (US terminology). It just leaves a bit of a loose start and I wonder if there is some little trick to it as I'm self taught and may have missed something. How do you slip stitch new threads into chain spaces?

Thanks in advance

6 answers to this question

Thank you. I have a large stash of cross stitch cotton which I'd thought to use but I see from what I've started (the roses) that it's going to burn through the stash before it's finished so I'm going to start again with sewing threads. I also thought I'm make do with a 1.5mm hook but the pattern calls for a smaller size and I can see that the petals on the roses aren't going to stack up properly with the slightly bigger stitches. Best to just frog for now rather than get too deep in. These doilies are beautiful but it's going to work out expensive for the number of thread spools involved. I see the book is being advertised here on the banner advert, it's the crochet Masterclass book I'm working from. Thank you for replying so quickly.

you could also do a standing sc. see this article by Edie Eckman, scroll down to Standing double crochet http://blog.lionbrand.com/2009/10/01/motif-afghan-crochet-along-crochet-techniques-part-i/

just put your slipknot on the hook and make an sc in the correct spot, it eliminates the sl st and chain.

Archived