My first Etsy Item!

I am very excited to say that I am selling an crocheted item on Etsy for the first time! I would love it if you could give me some feedback. I know I only have one item in my store so far, but I hope to change that as I start advertising more. Any feedback would be appreciated!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/85240784/granny-square-beret-style-hat

Thank you!

I am very excited to say that I am selling an crocheted item on Etsy for the first time! I would love it if you could give me some feedback. I know I only have one item in my store so far, but I hope to change that as I start advertising more. Any feedback would be appreciated!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/85240784/granny-square-beret-style-hat

Thank you!

feedback....That is a Great first ever pattern!!

good luck, i'll send some of my daughter's college friends over for a look - wayy better than e-bay.

Thank you for all your feedback! I also edited my listing and put the circumference (thank you for your suggestion RoseRed!) and added that I can make it in children's and baby sizes. Thanks for sending your daughter's college friends over kathrynadkins's, and thank you for your comment rondawi!

VERY nice -- your item stands out as being original the way you made it! That is good because it is in a sea of berets and slouchy beanies. But having a unique design as yours does with the colorful yarn worked into the black, makes it stand out. I would definitely take notice of it!

I'm not so sure I would make a big deal about it being your first item. I'm reluctant to use online sales with no history. I know you can't come up with a history until you start selling, but I would not draw attention to the fact of not having any. Also, try not to be negative about your own site (i.e. you wrote: I know it isn't much yet, but have a look around). Write a little something on your profile too -- tell when you started crocheting, what you like about it, family, etc. As for the item itself, I wouldn't make a point of saying you'd only made one so far. I'd just say that, "the beret is shown in Adult Medium size (22"-23" circumference) , also available in smaller (less than 22" including children's) and larger (over 23") sizes by special order, just convo me for details. }

One more thing and this is important -- do you have to charge that much in shipping? ($9.90 or $9.89) That is pretty high for a beret. Can you send it in one of those plastic white/silver envelopes and get it through on first class postage or does it weigh too much? Even using Priority Mail which gives better tracking and free boxes/envelopes should be cheaper than that! Flat Rate boxes are available for $5.20! So that is the maximum I would pay for shipping, myself. People who buy online a lot are pretty savvy about shipping prices and will not want to pay more than they know it should cost. Try running your postage off yourself online -- that saves over taking it to the post office, where you pay a surcharge for their service. I love your hat but would not want to pay that much in postage.

Please take this as constructive, honest criticism to help you. I was reluctant to write anything negative for fear of hurting your feelings but then I realized, that it should not as your work, your pattern and the finished item are all GREAT! I only had a slight critique on the shipping and so much detail about it being your first sale. You have a great product and with a little tweaking on your site presentation, I think you can make some sales! I would get more on your site as soon as you can as that will make it look more like a thriving business. Hope the comments can help and will look forward to seeing your business grow.

Esty is a great place to shop and buy things. I'm glad you are a new shop on Esty.

If you haven't checked out the whole site, you should. You will be amazed at all the available items. I love it. I have bought patterns, shampoo, beads, and other great items. It's the first place I look when I need a gift and don't have the time to make one.

:manyheart

Thank you so much DebraKay, for your great constructive criticism and compliments! I took your advice and took out the bits about it being my first item, and tweaked the comment I made on the sizing. I thought the shipping was exorbitant too, but that's what Canada Post gave me, but that was for an actual box. I think I'll end up using soft packaging, but even if it's the same price I'll take my losses. Hopefully within a week or so I will be adding more items. I'm also going to add a comment on my profile about myself very soon. Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it! Take a look around now and see what you think.

• 2 months later...

Archived