Rolling balls of leftover yarn

rscowtown

When u roll your leftover yarn into a small ball, aside from tucking the end under the last wraps, is there a way to keep it from unrolling?

Ive had some unroll if i put them in a diff location like from one basker to the next (when im rearranging the yarn hoarde for the millionth time).

Anyone use safety pin or something obvious that im missing?

Thanks, hope that made sense lol

Laurel

Actually, depending on the yarn, I'll put a rubber band around it. Not the best solution for mohair, heh but most smooth yarns will work well. A safety pin could work, or tucking it around a few strands then pulling it through a loop...kind of like a slip knot? Again, it depends on the yarn itself.

HTH!

When u roll your leftover yarn into a small ball, aside from tucking the end under the last wraps, is there a way to keep it from unrolling?

Ive had some unroll if i put them in a diff location like from one basker to the next (when im rearranging the yarn hoarde for the millionth time).

Anyone use safety pin or something obvious that im missing?

Thanks, hope that made sense lol

Laurel

Hi, Laurel!

I think the best way to roll a ball of yarn is to hold out the beginning 5" or 6" of yarn, then wind yarn around your finger until there are severa wraps around, When you're finished, the yarn comes out from the center, like a pull-out skein! ;)

Good luck!

Collette

I like Collette/Avon Lady's idea of making it a pull from center ball. I will have to try that sometime even though I have a yarn winder. Before I had the yarn winder, I had a bunch of partial skeins to roll into balls. As I finished each ball I took a straight pin that had a colored head and pinned the end to the ball. For light yarn I used a pin with a dark head. For dark yarn I used a pin with a light head. It worked just fine.

I use toilet paper tubes as a bobbin to wrap the yarn around :) It works great!! I cut a slit in one side to hold the end of the string and keep it from unwinding

I also put small balls into ziploc baggies. It works until I go sifting through the bag to grab one that I want.

Thinking on this right now, I think that if a slipknot was made leaving after the slipknot just a bit longer than the width of the ball, a yarn kneedle could be used to pull the tail through the ball kind of locking it. The slipknot would make it easy to pull the tail out when you were ready to use it. I think I'll wind a ball and try it ;)

I debate between rolling separate balls with left over yarn or using my ball winder thingy to make a magic ball. Of course that would mean finding all the parts of the winder thingy and remembering how to use it; I got it like 25 years ago lol

Archived