Family Circle Christmas Stocking Patterns

Granny Square

http://familycircle.com/momster/giveaways/win-yarn-to-knit-christmas-stockings

I had a little shock passing the magazines at the checkout today, FC had 3 patterns that I thought looked awfully familiar on their cover. Sure enough, I looked in my pattern stash and I'd cut out a pattern from Dec 13, 1977 for (virtually)the same patterns.

So I looked at their website and you can see I'm not crazy...Just an FYI if anyone is interested in picking up the magazine for the patterns (2 are crochet, the striped one is knit).

• 3 months later...

Looking at the pictures the patterns are very similar. The only thing I think I see on the old pattern is that the leg part of the stocking has a slight taper..the squares are slightly larger as it gets to the top. Ok the toe and heel too. Probably not really hard to improvise by using a favorite granny square pattern. I like the 1977 version better than the newer one because of the attention to detail and the "fitting" of the stocking

I don't know if/where the originals would be available, it was really just a page out of a magazine. Obviously I have a copy, but I want to hang on to mine and it would violate copyright laws & forum rules to make a copy for you. You might be able to order a backissue of the issue new version from FC.

Ah, good catch, I didn't know the new patterns were on their website. Yes, I agree the old ones were a little nicer--as you said, the shaping on the granny square and more crochet content on the Santa.

Here are some other granny square/hexagon stockings, some have different foot shapings.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&view=captioned_thumbs&query=granny%20square%20stocking&availability=free&sort=best

I made the older version back in the day -- I think they were published in '73 or '75 -- and they were more tapered to look more like a real stocking. We still have them. The one made with black yarn and multicolored centers was especially striking. Also made the red and green versions, also very pretty. If you can find the original somewhere, you'll like it better. If I recall right, it requires just a tiny bit of sewing at the toe. Our kids tell me that they used to have more fun running downstairs to the rec room to see the little stuff in those stockings than in opening their bigger gifts under the tree.

• 1 month later...
Looking at the pictures the patterns are very similar. The only thing I think I see on the old pattern is that the leg part of the stocking has a slight taper..the squares are slightly larger as it gets to the top. Ok the toe and heel too. Probably not really hard to improvise by using a favorite granny square pattern. I like the 1977 version better than the newer one because of the attention to detail and the "fitting" of the stocking

I think the ones I made -- and still have -- are from a 1975 Family Circle issue. All three are crocheted granny square versions -- two red and green and one black with multiple colors. And they have much better shaping than the ones there. They really should reissue the oldies. My kids loved those stockings for many years.

It's funny, either Crochet World or Crochet Today! (maybe both) occasionally issue "updated" vintage patterns, and show the old one and of course the new. Inevitably they dummy the new one down and every time I wish they'd give directions for the old one. Grumble. If they have the copyright, just reprint the same pattern and show it in 2012 colors instead of harvest gold and avocado.

I was able to get a copy of the pattern by emailling Family Circle using their "contact us" link and the general email address provided. A copy of the pattern was emailed to me within minute!!

That's pretty cool, that they still had the pattern and could send it out!

And welcome to the ville:hook

Archived