fUsible web

I wouldn't consider it. I sew a lot, you can't use it on all fabrics because you need to heat it up quite a bit for it to work. It would surely melt acrylic yarn and I imagine the fleece isn't cotton or wool so it would probably adversely affect that too.

Additionally, even if it's cotton or heat resistant, fusible web doesn't work too well on coarslely woven fabric--it works best on very smooth fabric. Just the texture of fleece and crocheted fabric would be a non-starter if the melt factor wasn't there.

Another thing to consider is that fleece doesn't stretch and crochet does, so you will likely have an undesirable looking end product if you just attached the edges. If you must attach a fleece backing, I recommend 'quilting' it onto the backing. The easiest way to do this would be to cut a bunch of short bits of yarn, mark your fleece in evenly distributed spots to tack it to the crocheted blanket, and make a stitch and knot the 2 fabrics together.

Here is a site that shows how to knot a quilt top & backing together, http://www.ehow.com/how_5075069_knot-quilt.html

Try googling quilt + knot, or tie, there are youtubes & other sites to give you an idea

Has anyone used fusible web to attach fleece to a crocheted blanket? This is my first attempt at anything like this and I was just wondering if anyone else had done this.

Assuming this is a gift,

This would most assuredly be a very bad idea. The temperature needed to bond the fusible would also be likely to melt any acrulic fleece and probably also any cotton/acrylic fleece blend

Depending on what yarn you used for the blanket, I would suggest not using fleece - particularly for something that will wrap a sleeping child.

You would be better to find some fabric rated as non-flamable or self extinguishing.

Or, assuming it is not a gift, but something you plan to sell in a craft show, it would be very likely bend if not break the rather strict laws relating to chilldren's sleepwear.

Archived