Need some help with TUNISIAN

MargeeTx

Hello everyone:

I am sitting here in Texas, watching our RANGERS!!! Decided today to try to learn Tunisian...bought the long hooks...which feel weird in my hand. Question...if I were going to make an afghan, would the entire width be on the hook...or do yoiu do sections and then sew together? I can crochet almost anything, and love complicated patterns. I want to make scarves for Christmas presents. I will keep the laptop buzzing in case anyone can help!!!! margee

From what I know of tunisian work it can be done either way. I believe the only thing is how many loops you can fit on your hook. There are tunisian hooks that have cords for making wider/longer items. There is also an interchangable hook set by "Denise" that has longer cords available.

Thanks, Braxxi...this is entirely new for me. My sisiter can knit anything...I never learned to knit. The stitches remind me of the knitting stitches. I know the great folks here will help me out. GO RANGERS!!!!!

I have the set of Denise interchangable hooks and really like them. I recently purchased a pattern book from Annie's Attic that is called 101 Easy Tunisian Stitches. This was a very expensive book not long ago, but they reprinted it...yeah! Anyway, I am hoping to be able to give tunisian another try soon. Good luck with your project.

• 3 weeks later...

A rule of thumb for Tunisian projects is that you can get three times the width of the hook. So, a 10" Tunisian hook will turn out a 30" project. 14" will give 42". I also love my Denise Interchangeable hooks.

When working something really wide, it will twist and be kind of difficult for the first 10 rows or so. After that though, it will stop twisting around and hang off the hook better.

You can work the afghan on one hook, but make sure you have a long cable attached. Don't attempt a blanket on a long aluminum or bamboo hook. Can it be done? Well, of course it *can* but...before long that blanket will get very, very heavy on your hook. You will most likely experience wrist fatigue a/o pain. If you use a cabled hook, you can rest the cable portion on your lap while working the stitches. Takes a huge load off!!

Or, feel free to work them in sections, Aran style, and then stitch them together later. That also makes for a beautiful effect!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also have different hooks for tunesian crochetting (hakning in Danish). I can make flat pieces or "tubes" by crochetting around with a small needle with 2 hooks.

The little heart in my avatar I have tunesian crochetted. 2 identical hearts crochetted together at last.

Archived