Figuring out a stitch

eternal_sunshine

Question

9 answers to this question

To me it looks like a dc in the space between stitches (maybe a chain?) However, I'm not 100% sure. I know it's definitely at least a bulky yarn, if not super bulky!

I hope you can figure it out, because that looks really nice!

:cheerAs someone else said, Chunky yarn has been used and it is simply that the maker has worked between the stitches rather than into the top as usually would be done.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

That is a frustrating company. I was going to suggest contacting the designer but I think they may have gone out of business. There is a Youtube video of their beanies, but it is just a photostream of the beanies with no prices or instructions at all. Their etsy store is empty. They seem to have gotten a substantial amount of advertising in articles online but then they sort of disappeared. Maybe they could not keep up or she lost interest.

I do agree with the others here though. Bu6y yourself a skein of bulky yarn and first try dc's and make next row in the space between each dc. If that looks too crowded, try putting a ch1 between each dc. Then make the next row into the space made by that ch1. One of those should give the look you're after. You can try tc (treble crochets) if the dcs don't look long enough. Should be fairly simple to emulate. I made a quick look through the patterns I have and found this one that is along the same lines: http://www.allfreecrochet.com/Hats/Quick-Flower-Hat You can see the spaces look much larger because it is done in a ww yarn and they do chain between the dc's. A little experimentation should get you where you like the look.

I recognize the variegated yarn as Homespun - which is a worsted weight yarn. Also, if you look at the brim edge, it looks to me like two strands of worsted weight yarn held together in a row of single crochets to finish it off. The main hat stitches look like double crochets with a chain one between and worked in the chain one space of the prior row.

Really? I've always used it like a regular worsted weight yarn. I know it has a "wrinkle" to it that makes it appear to be bulky, but it doesn't have the feel (to me at least) of a bulky yarn. I guess I better pay better attention to what it says on the yarn wrappers! (insert embarrassed grin here)...

I recognize the variegated yarn as Homespun - which is a worsted weight yarn. Also, if you look at the brim edge, it looks to me like two strands of worsted weight yarn held together in a row of single crochets to finish it off. The main hat stitches look like double crochets with a chain one between and worked in the chain one space of the prior row.

I agree two strands held together. And it looks like a dc, ch1. Nice hats!

Archived