Turtle soap holder

KarensCrochet.com

Question

I am looking for a pattern my Grandma made had to be back in the 60's. So it would be a vintage pattern. It was a turtle that you could put a bar of soap in, it was made with crochet thread, I think #10 (If that one is finer in thickness than #3 is). It had a opening on the belly of the turtle to put your soap in. It wasn't a solid pattern it was more like a doily type pattern made into a turtle, if that makes sense? I'm guessing it would have been three pieces, the top/back of the turtle, and two for the underside, then the border would piece them together and make the turtle shape.

Anyone have a similar pattern or even a pattern back from the 60's that might resemble this?

13 answers to this question

Did you ever find your pattern for the Vintage turtle Soap cover, my mother-in-law was telling me how her grandmother use to make them. And she remembers that you enter the bar of soap (Sweet Heart) from the back. I have found only two patterns so far, and both of them the bar enters from the top, with a draw string. Her grandmother died in 1955. So that tells you how old this pattern might be. 

Charlotte

I'm getting a nice list of turtle soap holders, but not the right one. Please let me know if you found the turtle soap cover, that the bar of soap enters through the back, or the underneath of the turtle

Cef, If you click on her name you can see when she was on here last. It was in Feb. Maybe send her message and she would be alerted that your working on it for her and or you could get an answer to your question.

I inherited this soap turtle off my Nana when she died in 1987. It was made by her Mother so is quite old. Unfortunately I don't have a pattern for it but it opens with a draw string at the neck.

It came with the poem and the cake of Sweet Heart soap too.

Hopefully it gives you an idea of what you are looking for :)

post-76560-0-06547100-1450140448_thumb.jpg

post-76560-0-29119700-1450140478_thumb.jpg

post-76560-0-23130800-1450140501_thumb.jpg

Oh, what a sweet remembrance of your grandmother and great grandmother!  Funny poem.

Too bad the pattern in post 2 doesn't seem to be on that site anymore.  I found 2 patterns, but they are not free.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#sort=best&craft=crochet&query=turtle soap cover

It looks like it would not be too difficult to improvise, however.  

o- The turtle body looks like filet (a DC, chain 2 overall pattern) started at the tail end by making a chain narrower than the soap, then working around both sides of the chain in an oval, increasing for the first few rounds to fit the soap

o- Head end is left open and wide, the drawstring is just a chain

o- The feet are just 3 rows of DC, 4 stitches across, probably worked over DCs at the sides of the turtle body.

o- The head is more or less a little ball, or watermelon shape maybe, in SC, then sewn to the middle top of the body (I'd do this as part of the weaving in of the last thread end of the head)

This site is a general guide for making crochet shapes, including the oval for the starting tail end, and 'ball' for the head:

http://www.mooglyblog.com/how-to-make-5-basic-crochet-shapes-free-patterns-and-links/

I think I'd use Dove soap as the model to work around, it looks more available than Sweetheart. 

For any bath scrubbie that had soap in it we used Ivory so it would float :lol . I remember a fish design made in 2 pieces, the top had a wide tail fin, the bottom had a loop. You put the soap in the tail end and pulled the tail down through the loop (early 60's). I have a turtle pattern, maybe I can work something out.

Ellie 13

This pattern came from my grandmother.

Soap Turtle

Materials

• Crochet Hook: size ?
  • Crochet Thread Size 10 (main color and contrasting color)
  • Ribbon
  • Bar soap (oval shape preferred)               

Directions

• Beginning with the tail… Chain 7
  • Row 1 – dc in 3rd chain from hook, 1 dc in next 3 chains, chain 3, turn (5 dc)
  • Row 2 – inc 1dc, 1 dc in each dc, chain 3, turn (6 dc)
  • Row 3 – inc 1dc, 1 dc in each dc, chain 3, turn (7 dc)
  • Row 4 - inc 1dc, 1 dc in each dc, chain 3, turn (8 dc)
  • Row 5 - inc 1dc, 1 dc in each dc, chain 3, turn (9 dc)
  • Row 6 – inc 2dc* (*increase at both ends of row), 1 dc in each dc, chain 3, turn (11 dc)
  • Row 7 - inc 2dc* (*increase at both ends of row), 1 dc in each dc, chain 3, turn (13 dc)
  • Row 8 – dc in front loop of dc, increasing 2dc on both ends of the row, then dc in the back loop of each dc and join (sl st)(28 dc)
  • Row 9 – 1dc in each dc, join with (sl st) (28 dc)
  • Rows 10 to 21 – chain 4, dc, chain 1 in each dc and join (sl st)
  • End at row 21.

Legs (4)

• Note: attach legs to both sides of the turtle at rows 10 and 11 (back legs) and rows 16 and 17 (front legs)
  • Row 1 – Chain 3, 3dc in one space, 4dc in second space, chain 3, turn (8 st)
  • Row 2 – 1dc in second dc and all other dc, chain 1, turn (8 st)
  • Row 3 – 1sc in second dc, 1 dc in next 3dc, 1sc in next dc, end off.
  • Another version for Row 3 is to 1sc in all dc, then end off.

Head

• Note: attach head to the center of the body, across 4 spaces.
  • Row 1 – sl st to first space, chain 3, 3dc, then 4dc in second space, 4dc in third space, 4 dc in fourth space, chain 3, turn. (16 st)
  • Rows 2, 3, 4 – dc in second dc and all other dc to end, chain 3 turn (16 st)
  • Row 5 – same as previous rows but hold back one loop from each dc. At last dc, draw final loop through all held back loops.

Finishing

• Attach contrasting thread to left side of turtle. Sc, chain 3 in each square (space) at neck then continue in a similar way around top of body and head, down the sides and around the feet.
  • Thread ribbon through top row and tie.
  • Embroider eyes to head.
  • Enclose verse:

This turtle is a handy thing, 

His hide a washcloth clean.

His stuffing is a cake of soap

With nothing in between.

So wet him up and scrub away.

He’ll wash your back the nicest way.

He’ll scent your clothes if laid away

In a bureau drawer with your “Lingerie.”

post-77116-0-13207000-1455994897_thumb.jpg

post-77116-0-17917700-1455994904_thumb.jpg

post-77116-0-47262000-1455994911_thumb.jpg

post-77116-0-11004800-1455994919_thumb.jpg

post-77116-0-32175500-1455994926_thumb.jpg

post-77116-0-81330900-1455994933_thumb.jpg

I know this is years later . . . But thank you soooo much for sharing the pattern. My best friend found the soap turtle her grandmother had made her which matches the pictures you shared. She wants me to make some for her - and thanks to your kindness now I can. 

Bless you!!!!

Archived