Red Scarf Project

FrLopLady

If someone has a lot of extra red yarn!? Here is a way to have it used for a good project!

This is for Foster Care to Success which use to be Orphan Foundation of America. Info is below

http://fc2success.org/what-we-do/programs/red-scarf-project/

Submission is ONLY Sept 1 - Dec 15.

Thank you so much for the information. What a wonderful idea I can't wait to get started. I'll be sure to post the finished product. :manyheart

What patterns and color/type yarn are you all going to use?

here is a little more information on what they are looking for:

HOW TO MAKE AN OFA RED SCARF

Scarf Size: Approximately 60 long and 5 to 8 wide. Scarves should be long enough to be

wrapped around the neck, with tails long enough to be tied in the front.

Style: Think unisex collegiate. The scarves go to both male and female students, so they

shouldn’t be gender specific. Fringes are optional. Your scarf should drape and tie easily.

Yarn: Preferably DK, double fingering-weight, worsted weight, or light bully yarns. No lace

weight, super-chunky, or mohair yarns as there are many people who find mohair too itchy. The yarn should be soft.

Color: Red! However, this could mean burgundy, cherry, russet, red stripes with other colors, or multicolor hues including red.

Finished and tagged: Yarn ends should be securely sewn in. For a personal touch, attach a tag saying “Handmade for You” with your first name, city, and group affiliation, if any. We also suggest that you include washing instructions and personal messages of encouragement.

Don't make too many!! I made about 15 of them a couple years ago and found out you can only donate five. I was very very disappointed.

That is strange that they would limit the number of donations! But if yo have extras, there is actually another Red Scarf Project -- This one is for Women Heart Patients and has been sponsored by RedHeart yarns for years:

http://www.womenheart.org/programsEvents/programs/heartscarves.cfm

Don't make too many!! I made about 15 of them a couple years ago and found out you can only donate five. I was very very disappointed.

I am asking about this as I wouldn't want anyone to make a bunch and not be able to donate them. Not like we couldn't find somewhere else to send them ;)

ok here is the answer I received back..

We do try to hold individuals to 5 scarves. The reason is that in the past we were getting people that were going for quantity not quality.

But if there are groups out there that want to send in as a group they can do so.

Thanks!

Lynn Davis

Director, Community Partnerships

Foster Care to Success

21351 Gentry Dr., Suite 130

Sterling, VA 20166-8511

Archived