FABulous afghan in Smurf movie!

I've been playing with the top pattern I found here http://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-crochet-a-square/ but using an hdc instead of an sc. I think this might be the answer to the spiral effect.

tuevans - you are a star! I think that should be IT! well done on persevering - I will be giving that a go very soon - last few days of summer holidays in the UK - so once the kids are back at school my hook will be flying!

thanks so much xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:clap:clap:clap

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0PDoTEQNGBOTk8AJT.JzbkF?p=Babette+afghan&fr=my-myy&ei=utf-8&n=30&x=wrt&y=Search

it is a babette afghan ry this link if it doesnt work go to yahoo and type in babette crochet under images and pics of babette afghans will show up. also found a great pic here What the smurf is that I see?

hope these links work!

tuevans - you are a star! I think that should be IT! well done on persevering - I will be giving that a go very soon - last few days of summer holidays in the UK - so once the kids are back at school my hook will be flying!

thanks so much xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:clap:clap:clap

Please let me know how it turns out! I'm missing something because as my squares get bigger they lose their shape. I need to figure out how to compensate using hdc instead of sc.

• 3 weeks later...

Quest complete!!

We know the pattern: Babette

We know the yarn: 100% wool worsted

We can buy it if we want to -- wonder if that's the actual one used in the movie?

Honestly, $230 is an amazing price for that piece of work. In my own research for this quest, I found people who'd spent upwards of $500 for the yarn and sizes they wanted.

And the hours...

This has been so much fun, y'all -- thank you to everyone who played along!

Warm wishes,

Kimber

It is not a babette. It's a babette type layout though which is what is throwing everyone.

Oh and while the orginal babette uses wool, a ton of people have made it in other types of yarn.

Babette uses regular solid squares.

Go here and click on the 6th, 7th, or 8th photos then click again for the close up:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/queenofstyle/babette-blanket-2

You'll see it's just normal solid granny.

The smurf one uses a spiral.

Go here and hove your mouse over the afghan and you'll see the center spiral:

http://www.pineconehilloutlet.com/product/view/crochet-squares-throw--TKCS

This throw is the closest I've seen so far. Click on the photo and you'll see the spirl center:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/spiral-square

It does look a little different because she is using single crochet and back loops only; I think. And two colors. All fairly easy to change to the double crochet, both loops of the smuf throw.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think this is done in DC and after perhaps, the second round you start increasing around the spiral to create corners. You could make some squares perhaps 3" square and make some squares 9" square and make some rectangular motifs in sizes divisible by 3". Use graph paper and design your layout and Voila!

We just finished watching the Smurf movie. I love that movie and love the afghan on the couch. Yes on the side table looks like a table cloth with pom pom's. I seen that too.I stopped the movie and took a picture of the afghan. So did anyone find a pattern for it. I want to make it.

post-48736-135897715648_thumb.jpg

That's a great pic from the movie!

We never found a pattern, but you can look at/purchase the actual afghan from the Pine Cone Hill outlet online. Last price was $117 US.

It's a Babette-style layout, with squares crochet in a spiral. Check the replies on September 27th for links to see the diff between babette squares and this one. There's also a link to the Pine Cone Hill store, where you can view a close-up of the squares that were used.

I think it's the color combinations that are so striking, in addition to the Babbette layout.

Best of luck!

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you . I would love to crochet it instead of buy it. Even though I buy the yarn it's still not the same unless I do it with my own two hands. Thank.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Has anyone made the afghan from the Smurf movie yet? Just checking to see if anyone came up with a pattern?

.... a Babette layout style with a series of Never Ending Blanket Squares in varying sizes.

I agree with earlier poster that said it was the color arrangement and choice that makes this so striking.

Would love to see a pattern; it's difficult to get consistently good results consistently if I make it up as I go.

This is the view of the throw from the Pine Cone Hill Outlet. Still priced at $117 and still available!

post-16445-135897759601_thumb.jpg

It's really easy to think it's a babette with solid squares, however it isn't. As I stated previously it is a spiral square.

:)

You are right! I forgot that; thanks for the reminder.

Y'all: The squares are done in the round with hdc through both loops so that the throw looks the same on both sides.

The LAYOUT is inspired by the Babette.

Here is a link for a square done in the round, which creates the "spiral" effect: http://www.freshstitches.com/free-pattern-crocheted-square-washcloth/

• 1 month later...

I find it hilarious and intriguing that I am not the only one that notices such small details, like "afghans" that are in movie sets. From watching reruns of "Roseanne" and the afghan that is always on her couch to other even more recent movies, it is like the crocheted afghan is making a tremendous comeback. The first time I watched The Smurfs, I noticed it immediately as well as other movies of recent, some I will have to recall and post about at another date.

When I saw the scene I immediately fell in love and began searching for the pattern to make this afghan and I still hope to be able to do so eventually.I do have one question, does anyone else notice that up until the time the Smurfs redecorate the apartment, there is no Afghan present? Where did they get it and so colorful? Either way, it's beautiful and I would love to have one to decorate my home with. I could imagine using all sorts of colors.

I am adding a still shot that I took directly from the movie. If anyone has found where to get the pattern, I would love to hear from you, in case I have missed the posting of such a link, please forgive me for that.

post-61896-135897767456_thumb.jpg

I'm just going to quote myself:

It's a babette type layout.

Babette uses regular solid squares.

The smurf one uses a spiral.

This throw is the closest I've seen so far. Click on the photo and you'll see the spirl center:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/spiral-square

It does look a little different because she is using single crochet and back loops only; I think. And two colors. All fairly easy to change to the double crochet, both loops of the smuf throw.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived