Help! needing to understand a instruction on a pattern

Carters6

Question

Hi there,

I'm new to this Crochet fun and am starting a baby outfit.

The bit I am stuck on is the following instruction:

1st Row: 3ch (3ch counts as 1tr 1ch)

What does this mean??

Would be very happy with help

Thanks in advance,

xx;)

14 answers to this question

First, is this pattern written in British or American terminology?

Second - would it be possible to get any instruction directly before and after this row? Perhaps a link to the pattern (if free online) or the name of it if its not :)

Edited by cris

Hi there,

I'm new to this Crochet fun and am starting a baby outfit.

The bit I am stuck on is the following instruction:

1st Row: 3ch (3ch counts as 1tr 1ch)

What does this mean??

Would be very happy with help

Thanks in advance,

xx;)

It just means that you will chain 3 and that chain 3 will count as one treble crochet + one chain. It takes the place of the first treble and chain one, in the pattern.

Here are the instructions for completing a treble crochet (U.S. version) if that is needed: http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=19

Step 1: Bring yarn twice over the hook (from back to front), skip the first four chains, then insert hook into the fifth chain from the hook

Step 2: Hook yarn and draw it through the chain stitch and up onto the working area of the hook; you now have four loops on the hook.

Step 3: Hook yarn and draw it through the first two loops on the hook. ou now have three loops on the hook.

Step 4: Hook yarn again and draw it through the next two loops on the hook. Two loops remain on the hook

Step 5: Hook yarn and draw it through both remaining loops on the hook. You have now completed one treble crochet and one loop remains on the hook.

(use the link above to see the pictures to go along with the instructions).

If this pattern is in UK terms instead of US, then:

A UK treble crochet = a US double crochet.

First, is this pattern written in British or American terminology?

Second - would it be possible to get any instruction directly before and after this row? Perhaps a link to the pattern (if free online) or the name of it if its not :)

Hi there Cris.

Thank you for responding.

It is in English terminology and the pattern is what I purchased from a knitting shop, it is for a baby cardigan and hat.

Below are the instructions:

Foundation Row: (RS) 1dc into 3rd ch

from hook, 1 dc into each ch

to end, turn.

1st Row: 3ch (3ch counts as 1tr

1ch), miss 1dc, * 1tr into next dc,

1ch, miss 1dc, rep from * to last dc,

1tr into last dc, turn.

48 (52:60:64:72:76) squares (64 is the size I am making)

2nd Row: 1ch (1ch counts as 1dc),

* 1dc into next 1 ch sp, 1dc into

next tr, rep from * to end, turn.

1st and 2nd rows set patt.

Keep continuity of patt as set

(throughout) cont until work measures approx ....(the size I am making)

....Hope this helps?

Thanks

It just means that you will chain 3 and that chain 3 will count as one treble crochet + one chain. It takes the place of the first treble and chain one, in the pattern.

Here are the instructions for completing a treble crochet (U.S. version) if that is needed: http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=19

Step 1: Bring yarn twice over the hook (from back to front), skip the first four chains, then insert hook into the fifth chain from the hook

Step 2: Hook yarn and draw it through the chain stitch and up onto the working area of the hook; you now have four loops on the hook.

Step 3: Hook yarn and draw it through the first two loops on the hook. ou now have three loops on the hook.

Step 4: Hook yarn again and draw it through the next two loops on the hook. Two loops remain on the hook

Step 5: Hook yarn and draw it through both remaining loops on the hook. You have now completed one treble crochet and one loop remains on the hook.

(use the link above to see the pictures to go along with the instructions).

If this pattern is in UK terms instead of US, then:

A UK treble crochet = a US double crochet.

Hi Debrakay,

Thanks for the response.

Sorry but still confusing..lol...so, the second row I will be starting by doing three chains, where does the 1tr and 1dc (in english terms) come in? do I then do 1tr and 1dc after the three chains?? or when I do three chains I do 1ch and then tr??

Edited by Carters6

I guess for me I am confused in Row 1 jumps into doing all these things into a chain but nothing is there to tell you how many to chain for starting. The instructions there confuse me too

:(

Hi Debrakay,

Thanks for the response.

Sorry but still confusing..lol...so, the second row I will be starting by doing three chains, where does the 1tr and 1dc (in english terms) come in? do I then do 1tr and 1dc after the three chains?? or when I do three chains I do 1ch and then tr??

you make the 3 chain to start your row; this gets you up to the height you need to continue the row, and in this case counts as the first stitches of the row. the 3chain is the equivalent of 1 tr and 1 chain. make the 3 chain, know that the part in parentheses (3 ch counts as 1 tr 1ch) is just telling you how to think of the 3 chain, and continue on with miss 1 dc, 1 tr into next dc....

...and welcome to the Ville :hook:waving

Ah ha! thanks magiccrochetfan.....makes sense now!

and thanks for the welcome...will save me from going classes now!

and thanks to all that helped

x

lol, I am sorry I have confused you further.

I have started with making 130 chain stitches for the size I am doing and then the foundation row instructions begin followed by 1st, 2nd row instructions.

lol, I am sorry I have confused you further.

I have started with making 130 chain stitches for the size I am doing and then the foundation row instructions begin followed by 1st, 2nd row instructions.

OH so there was a starting chain *laughs* ok, I'm ok now - glad someone was able to help you... and WELCOME to the ville :)

I have to kinda agree with Sandie..you need to find where that book was published as it could cause untold grief really fast if they are UK terms and you are trying to do it as if they were US!

Jeanflitz, it is very common for a lacy or not-plain stitch pattern that involves chains between other 'stuff' to use this sort of wording for clarity. 

A turning chain is (example, US DC) typically 3.  If the pattern just said "chain 5, dc, do this and that" you might think it's an error if it doesn't explain that the reason the initial chain is 5, not 3, is because it's using 3 chains as a dc and the 2 extra chains are part of the lace pattern. 

If the pattern starts with "ch 5" frequently for the same reason in the future, it will say "chain 5" (acts as DC, ch2 here and throughout)", to save some typing.