Generally ... frustrated

SolarSoda

Question

Note as of March 21, 2011: Much has changed since I originally posted this. Enough that I felt this initial post warranted a preamble of sorts. The response I got to my post below was so warm, so helpful, and thus so overwhelming that this incredible community of crocheters really bore me up and out of the doldrums I found myself in when I began this thread. So read my post below with a grain of salt, and to those who might find themselves in a similar predicament ... just keep reading, and by all means, feel free to send me (or anyone here) a private message for help. I'm always happy to help or to point in the right direction. Lord knows, I learned a LOT from this thread! Thank you.

I must forewarn you: this is more of a rant than asking for help.

I'm convinced that I must be the dumbest person on the planet. Either that or these "beginner" dishcloth patterns I pick up are liars, and are in fact designed for more experienced crocheters. Judging from some of the threads I've read here, that may very well be the case.

This is what I'm trying to make: "Granny Dishcloth" on label of Lily Sugar'n Cream Naturals

http://www.sugarncream.com/pattern.php?PID=2934

I'm using the "Guacamole" yarn, not the "Earth Ombre" color suggested for the pattern.

This time I approached crocheting differently than I have in the past. I scaled my expectations way down: I chose a really cheap, plastic needle and yarn I wasn't particularly in love with. My whole goal was to get myself crocheting.

I know how to make all the stitches. If I don't understand an abbreviation I look it up and have never had trouble figuring out how to make a specific stitch. I can sit here and stitch randomly till the cows come home. Making stitches is not the problem. I also happen to make nice, even stitches too.

The problem is, I don't understand where to stick my needle sometimes, or where to go next! Or what it all means! I wish I had someone I could ask who could show me the answer to my question.

When I lived in Grand Rapids, MI one of my co-workers started knitting. Then I saw her doing it and I wanted to do it, so guess what, we were both knitting. Up there I had a LYS to walk into and ask questions, and they showed me the way. Problem solved. I threw money at them buying yarn and needles.

So when I decided to start crocheting, because I heard about "amigurumi" and wanted to make some, I just decided to go looking for a LYS down here ... to no avail. The nearest one to me is nearly an hour's drive away. As for crafting amigurumi? *smirks* *snickers* Yeah ... right.

Or maybe I should just give up crocheting and go back to knitting? When I was knitting I actually completed a couple projects (dishcloth and scarf). Is crocheting harder than knitting?

It is sooooooo frustrating (can you feel the frustration in this post?) to come here and see thread after thread after thread after thread of what ya'll are creating and accomplishing. I can't even make a dishcloth. It seems like the farthest thing away from me and no matter how many times I set it down and come back to it later, I still wind up with the same result: I need a real live person I can ask who can show me. Videos and forums ain't cutting it.

Sorry to be such a downer ... no I'm not. This is a "poor me" pity party in full swing! (I know, I need to shut up and go open the first-ever LYS in Fort Myers, FL!)

First of all : take a big deep breath and let it out slowly.....next, ditch the cheap plastic hook and the yarn you're not in love with... get a nice hook, by whatever way you define nice... and some yarn you like. It doesn't have to be expensive, it doesn't have to be natural fibers...I personally LOVE red heart yarn....it get so soft once it is washed and dried... if you don't like the tools you're working with, you won't want to use them... Ignore the snickers from the people who think that the only thing you can do with yarn is knit...they are small minded. No, I don't hate knitting...I learned to knit years before I learned to crochet, I just like crochet much better.... You-tube is your friend...great resource...find the videos that show what you need to know and watch them over and over...stop action is great, you can pause them at any point, and they never get frustrated with you. As to where to put your hook, unless the pattern states otherwise, it is always under both loops: patterns will assume you understand this.

I have been crocheting for I don't know how many years but I'll tell ya, some patterns just make me angry ... so angry I frog them and move on. It isn't just you - but I can definitely appreciate feeling like you are the only one.

I guess my first question to you would be "what is your main question" - you said you don't always know where to put your hook... well, post the pattern and ask away! We are kinda like that LYS you used for knitting questions, only a LOT bigger and open 24/7 :)

I have some YT videos about how to do certain stitches but I don't have anything up specific to a pattern although I'm wanting to venture in that direction. I'll tell ya, if you shoot me a PM with any questions you have, I don't mind spending some time and making some vids to help answer each question (although it may take me a day).

Which is easier? I think both can be easy and both can be equally as hard. It depends on who you ask and what pattern they are working on *smiles*

I would suggest finding a different pattern and giving it a go. Find one that has pictures or a video to go along with it. And once you start finishing more and more crochet patterns, you'll find the trends and when people tell you to do something different than the norm.

I have been in your shoes but don't get discouraged. Do your high schools have any adult ed classes? Ours does and at times someone teaches crochet and knitting. I agree with the youtube videso. I also have the leisure arts DVD I can't believe I am crocherting and a portable DVD player so I can sit at the table and watch the stitches up close. I just bought the ones for bobbles and lace. Another thing see if you have any churches with prayer shawl ministries and maybe someone there would be willing to help you. If you want a buddy to email for help PM me and I will give you my email address. Mary

I couldn't agree more about You tube videos. It's how I taught myself to crochet 2 years ago- please don't give up!! Crocheting is fun and to me easier than knitting!

We're all here to help and remember --there is no dumb or stupid question. If you don't ask you never learn! Trust me, I ask questions all the time- for anything I'm not sure of.

Hang in there! It can be frustrating at first. :hug

Can you access you tube? There will be videos about how to make all sorts of crochet items. That will help you learn where to put your hook. Post any specific questions here. We love to help!

As far as crocheting or knitting being easier, I suppose that depends on the person. Crocheting was easier to learn for me than knitting. I'm sure there are those that feel the opposite though.

Watch You tube videos. That is how I taught myself. It will show you exactly where to insert the hook. It is much better than someone showing you because you can stop the video, back it up, etc. I have tried knitting but I didn't like it, but I don't think crocheting is harder. I still watch you tube videos if I am not sure exactly how to do something.

Archived