Granny Squares - What do you do with them?

Okay, I found a very old book about granny squares at the thrift shop this weekend titled "Illustrated Patchwork Crochet." It's pretty cool and it has all sorts of ideas for what to do with the things after you've crocheted them. The colors are just terrible in the photos -- it was published in the early 1970s and I'm just not into those color schemes. But it has some good, easy to follow patterns and nifty ideas -- vests, ponchos, hats, sweaters, skirts, planters, afghans, rugs, pillows, lampshades, room dividers, etc.

So what have you done with your granny squares? I think if they're done in the right colors, they look pretty cool and they're fast too. I'm working on a granny square scarf for my daughter right now in a lovely bright blue from Caron Simply Soft.

I've only ever made granny squares twice (I have only been crocheting since december). I made a purse with caron simply soft brites and a I made a Big Granny Square lapghan (like where its only 1 square) with chenile (the thick kind

A granny square was the first thing I ever made. I quickly made a lapghan (in thread) that was one huge square granny square, but that's all I've ever done with squares. I think they look good on certain articles of clothing, but I'm not one to tolerate weaving in ends.

Signed,

the Rachel who wove exactly 40 ends in on a thread poncho today :hook Am I a walking contradiction or what?

Granny squares was the first thing I ever learned to crochet -- as a 6 year old -- I love them. They are old fashioned, but very pretty. Check out my aviator.

I have some 60 granny squares completed and now just need to slip stitch them together to make a light jacket for this Fall. I chose Lion Brand Chunky USA yarn to make them, in the desert sand and fisherman colors. I am adding a collar and cuffs to the jacket, in a ribbed-type of crochet stitching that I think will finish it off nicely.

you can do lots of stuff wtih them.. blankets.. bags.. hats.. scarves.. skirts.. it goes on and on..

Oh yeah, I know. :) The book I bought has all sorts of fun uses for them. But like I said, it's an old book. I was just curious to know what people here have been doing with them. Just as kind of a fun question.

granny's are great. I like making blankies out of them. They are easy to tote around while you are working, unlike a huge afgan,and then you stitch tthem together. I am working on making a granny square sampler afgan.

...but I'm not one to tolerate weaving in ends.

That's a very nice, tactful way of saying it. LOL! I was going to say that weaving in ends was about as fun as cleaning my bathroom. LOL!

I -had- half a poncho made that was supposed to be a sample for a class I was supposed to teach probably two years ago... I only ever got half the squares made and assembled. The project and yarn has been residing in my beach bag ever since.

Well, next weekend we're going on vacation... to the beach... and I want my beach bag! So, I made enough additional squares to fill in the neck hole, sewed them in place, and put a border around the outside to make a square afghan to donate to the local animal shelter. I was never going to finish the original project... may as well let a doggie have it. :)

Archived