Mobius Pattern Help

charkitty

Question

I recently purchased Annie's Attic "Mobius for Beginners" pattern. However, I'm stuck on round 1 which reads....

Rnd 1: Ch 163, twist beginning of rnd 1 360 degrees, join.....

What does 'twist beginning of rnd 1 360 degrees' mean? How do you do that?

Help! I'm stuck!

Thanks!

charkitty

19 answers to this question

Basically, you know when you normally join a ring you have the chain flat and you make sure there are no twists. This time you want to lay it out flat so there are no twists BUT then you want to go to the first chain, and roll it over - turn it so the chain is facing away from you, then turn it again so the chain is facing you again, but there is a "twist" in the pattern - just 1 twist.

No problem. I actually have plans of doing a hyperbolic mobius strip for a future project. This gave me the excuse to make sure I knew what I was doing =).

I actually did it wrong twice before I figured out what I was doing. Somebody once told me that the best way to learn is to teach others. It was indeed true in this case.

Cheers,

Taco

Oh I so hear you on that. I have learned so much just trying patterns people post they are having trouble with and surprise myself I can figure them out. Mary

Love the pictures and a math high five back at ya!!!!

I don't know where it was, but I saw a graph-ghan pattern type crochet site that had all sorts of mathematical figures in crochet form. I was excited :)

No problem. I actually have plans of doing a hyperbolic mobius strip for a future project. This gave me the excuse to make sure I knew what I was doing =).

I actually did it wrong twice before I figured out what I was doing. Somebody once told me that the best way to learn is to teach others. It was indeed true in this case.

Cheers,

Taco

Here's a quick pictorial walk-through of the mobius strip. Sorry about the color of the yarn, it was the most visible yarn I had at my disposal (other than eye destroyingly red yarn). I used a size K hook to make my stitches huge and more visible.

In this tutorial, I stared off by chaining 30:

img0456h.jpg

Here's a close up of the far left of the starting chain. The red arrow points to the loop you'll be using to start the mobius loop. You'll be coming through the back of that loop so that your chain spirals once joined.

img0457fe.jpg

Here's a close up of going through that loop from the back:

img0458va.jpg

If you've done it correctly, you should be able to see the mobius chain. The path you'll crochet twists to the bottom of where you will currently be working. The red arrows shows that as you crochet along this pass, you eventually cross over and end up crocheting on the inside of the mobius. This happens naturally as you follow the chain path:

img0459.jpg

A few double crochets in:

img0461cf.jpg

As you crochet along the path, the strip will begin to twist behind you. Here's my loop 3/4 complete; it's twisting back on itself:

img0462va.jpg

And here's the completed first half of the mobius:

img0463g.jpg

This is a closer view of where you'll be crocheting. The red arrow is pointing at the loops you'll be using to crochet the second half of the mobius strip:

img0464uj.jpg

Here's the game plan of the second half of the first pass. You'll be crocheting along the top there, and my finger is pointing where the strip folds over on itself. Your crocheting path follows the red arrow behind the fold there, and ends with that last red arrow, joining up with the first double crochet you made:

img0465m.jpg

And here we are, a nearly completed mobius loop. My finger is pointing to the first double crochet I made. As you can tell I didn't bother with chaining 2 or 3 to get the right height. I was being lazy:

img0468gm.jpg

And here's the finished loop. The red arrow shows you the edge you would be crocheting along. It folds under the strip and proceeds along 60 stitches before joining up with the stitch you would make next (assuming 1 stitch in every stitch around):

img0469g.jpg

Hope that helps with your mobius project!

I was a math major first time in college.... and yes, I was curious why they named it a mobius considering its not one.

Math High-Five! :clap

I may try crocheting a quick mobius and take some pictures for reference.

EDIT: Ch 10 is way, way too small for this kind of trial. Guess I'll try 30 or so.

Double Edit: Ok, finished a 30ch mobius. Just need to upload all the pictures and add arrows. Probably take me longer to do that than the actual crochet ;).

I've done a lot of math in my time and when I see incorrect geometry I get all "hulk smash".

I was a math major first time in college.... and yes, I was curious why they named it a mobius considering its not one.

Technically a "true" mobius strip only has a 180º twist in it.* The idea is that if you were to trace your finger along one side of the strip, you would be able to trace all the surfaces before returning to the starting place.

A 360º twist is just a ring with a twist in it, and not a true mobius.

Maybe that is what's causing you some trouble here? If not, I apologize. I've done a lot of math in my time and when I see incorrect geometry I get all "hulk smash".

*WARNING MATH!: Actually you can make a mobius with any circle with a 180º phased twist. So a 540º twist would also produce a mobius (A 2N mobius as it were).

I recently purchased Annie's Attic "Mobius for Beginners" pattern. However, I'm stuck on round 1 which reads....

Rnd 1: Ch 163, twist beginning of rnd 1 360 degrees, join.....

What does 'twist beginning of rnd 1 360 degrees' mean? How do you do that?

Help! I'm stuck!

Thanks!

charkitty

I'm in the same predicament.... I'm just a beginner crocheter , a diagram on how to do this 360 twist will be very much appreciated.

Help and thanks in advance

lady of the house

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I could not open/view the sites you suggested. However, I did contact Annie's Attic and they referred me to a help site which e-mailed me the following instructions for 'Mobius Twist' which I'm sharing with anyone interested:

MOBIUS TWIST:

Lay your chain out flat making sure that it is straight and that it isn't twisted. Bring the 2 ends together, side by side. Take the end that you are going to join in and turn it over completely so that the top of the chain is once again at the top. Now join in the first chain. It should now be twisted 360 degrees.

charkitty

Have no clue why they won't open for you. Are you on a work computer that blocks PDF's and yotube videos maybe? If you can view other youtube videos then don't know why not this one and as far as adobe goes do you have the latest PDF viewer? You should always keep adobe updated because on a PC it's a security risk not to keep it updated. Too bad because the diagram on the crochet soiree site is a really helpfull visual. Another thought can you get on the main crochet soiree site or is it just the link to the PDF I posted you can't access? Mary

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I could not open/view the sites you suggested. However, I did contact Annie's Attic and they referred me to a help site which e-mailed me the following instructions for 'Mobius Twist' which I'm sharing with anyone interested:

MOBIUS TWIST:

Lay your chain out flat making sure that it is straight and that it isn't twisted. Bring the 2 ends together, side by side. Take the end that you are going to join in and turn it over completely so that the top of the chain is once again at the top. Now join in the first chain. It should now be twisted 360 degrees.

charkitty

Look at the beginning of this
and it shows how to do the twist. Is there a diagram any where in the book that shows how? Mary

Thanks, Mary. Unfortunately, webtv cannot view the video.

No, there is no diagram. I'm surprised a diagram was not included. If anyone has a diagram, I'd really appreciate it.

charkitty

Archived