Border for Granny Square Afghan

Lov2Crochet

Question

12 answers to this question

I am not much on the cross stitch myself. One of my favorite edgings is as follows: (sc, ch3, 3 dc) in next stitch or space; rep around. This forms triangles and is cute for a boy or a girl!

I also am not much for cross stitches. You could do a front post stitch on every other DC for a raised look. This is my favorite border right now, and on my MUST DO list. I covet this afghan--

http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/2011/02/sweet-flower-granny-blanket-ta-dah.html

I hope you find what you are searching for.

:manyheart

I don't much like the cross stitches either. The border that was suggested by brendakbrown is one I use all the time. It makes a really cute border! I usually doa simple sc around the whole thing first then the border

my two cents worth... I have used for the edge as follows. Sc all around first, putting three in each corner. Next row, three in the corner, *ch 1, skip 1, sc*all the way around, I usually do this a couple rounds, and have done also the ch 2, skip 2 for larger spaces, both look good!

Ok, well here is the afghan, I went ahead and added a border of DC all around and now I would like to do the "X" pattern all the way around if anyone can enlighten me how to start. I did 3 dc, chain 2, 3 dc in the corners. Thanks!

post-12157-135897626127_thumb.jpg

post-12157-135897626133_thumb.jpg

When I have an afghan that needs a border with some interest I do crossed dc rows to get the border width I want and for the last row I do a crossed dc picot....dc...ch3 picot...then the "crossed dc" that goes behind the first dc....I also slst into the top of the dc, not the first ch of the picot.It seems to give the picot more stability.

Ok, well here is the afghan, I went ahead and added a border of DC all around and now I would like to do the "X" pattern all the way around if anyone can enlighten me how to start. I did 3 dc, chain 2, 3 dc in the corners. Thanks!

do you want open Xs, or do you want crossed sts on a dc background?

I usually put 2dc-ch2-2dc in my corners so that on the next row there will be 2 stitches to create another crossed dc on each side of the corners (plus the 2dc-ch2-2dc of the actual corner space). If I don't have an even number of stitches on the first row of the border, I make a crossed dc in 2 of the stitches and then make the next dc in the next stitch instead of skipping 1 stitch and make the second "crossed dc into the first dc stitch of the previous crossed dc so that two dc crossed stitches are made using three instead of four dc's from the previous row..now I'm not short a stitch when I get to the next corner. Good luck with your border...they can MAKE your afghan look Fabulous. AuntyD

I also am not much for cross stitches. You could do a front post stitch on every other DC for a raised look. This is my favorite border right now, and on my MUST DO list. I covet this afghan--

http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/2011/02/sweet-flower-granny-blanket-ta-dah.html

I hope you find what you are searching for.

:manyheart

Great link! Thanks for it.

"X's" on a DC background

:eek I can see this in my mind, and I would have thought I'd seen a front post sttich pattern that made Xs on a solid background. But I can't find a pattern for it and my attempt to make something up was not completely successful. i couldn't keep the edge really straight. I had best luck with doing crossed triples on a background of sc, anchoring the triples in the sc 2 rows below. i skipped 2 sc between the triples.

there are several borders using open Xs in Around the Corner Crochet Borders by Edie Eckman, and they all have really nice corner treatments.

Archived