Crocheting with fabric instead of yarn

racerose

Question

I decided to try a pattern for a "country bowl" that is crocheted using strips of gingham fabric. I purchased some cute lime green gingham fabric and didn't realize that the gingham was only printed on one side of the fabric. So the other side of the fabric is pretty much white.

So, when cut into strips, one side has the cute gingham and the other side is white-ish. This looks bad when crocheted (obviously) because when the white side of the fabric shows, you can't see the gingham.

I was able to work around the problem by folding the fabric strips so that the printed gingham showed on both sides of the strips.

But lesson learned... when buying fabric to cut into strips and crochet with, make sure both sides of the fabric is printed/colored/looks the same.

I hope this makes sense b/c it's not easy to explain :)

14 answers to this question

I decided to try a pattern for a "country bowl" that is crocheted using strips of gingham fabric. I purchased some cute lime green gingham fabric and didn't realize that the gingham was only printed on one side of the fabric. So the other side of the fabric is pretty much white.

So, when cut into strips, one side has the cute gingham and the other side is white-ish. This looks bad when crocheted (obviously) because when the white side of the fabric shows, you can't see the gingham.

I was able to work around the problem by folding the fabric strips so that the printed gingham showed on both sides of the strips.

But lesson learned... when buying fabric to cut into strips and crochet with, make sure both sides of the fabric is printed/colored/looks the same.

I hope this makes sense b/c it's not easy to explain :)

Hello, Racerose,

When I crochet with strips of fabric I fold it in 4 so that the edge doesn't fray... I don't like the look of the crocheted fabric when it's frayed... but is it supposed to look that way (frayed) or to end up neat and clean ?

:think

I have the book that Country Bowl pattern is in (Cozy Crochet, pg. 54), looking closely at the picture, the edges are frayed, but just a teensy bit, you can hardly tell. It also says you can trim the bowl when you're finished crocheting, so I'm guessing that's why you can't see the frays much.

:cheer There is a method of cutting, commonly used by patchworkers, to cut a small square of fabric into a long bias strip, Maybe this method of cutting would be worth finding out about as it eliminates the fraying.:cheer

I am sure there are people here who do patchwork and quilting, who know how to do this.

If not, my sister works in a Patchwork Shop, here in Hamilton, so she should be able to tell me how it is done.

Might be worth a try.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

I've tried to crochet with material once before and I too did not like the way it frayed. My mom suggested that the next time I cut my material I should use pinking shears. I tried it and it did cut down quite a bit on the fraying.

I also tried folding it in fourths and ironing it down to make a smoother product. What a pain that was!!! Not being one for patience I decided that the next time I saw a cute fabic basket, I'd just buy it:lol .

Good Luck with your project.

Yarnbunny

I've heard about crochetting with bias tape, maybe that will give you the effect you want, it's fabric and it doesn't have the frayed edges........the only downfall is you'd have to buy a lot of tape to make anything substatial. :D

:cheer There is a method of cutting, commonly used by patchworkers, to cut a small square of fabric into a long bias strip, Maybe this method of cutting would be worth finding out about as it eliminates the fraying.:cheer

I am sure there are people here who do patchwork and quilting, who know how to do this.

If not, my sister works in a Patchwork Shop, here in Hamilton, so she should be able to tell me how it is done.

Might be worth a try.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Thi sis actually the method I use... maybe I'm too picky :blush

I've used fabric crochet for doormats at the front and back door. They hose off, are scrubable, and last for awhile. :) I usually look for a $1 a yard (or less) all cotton and get enough for my project. So, the fraying is okay for me with the mats. I like the tips for bias, double foldover and the 4 fold. Thanks! :hook

I've used fabric crochet for doormats at the front and back door. They hose off, are scrubable, and last for awhile. :) I usually look for a $1 a yard (or less) all cotton and get enough for my project. So, the fraying is okay for me with the mats. I like the tips for bias, double foldover and the 4 fold. Thanks! :hook
lol, you're welcome ;)

Well, maybe I shouldn't worry about the fraying, the problem is, I already crocheted 2 thirds of my rug, , but it was a while ago, I don't remember how I held the fabric, what hook size I used, etc... I tried to finish it and the new row didn't look the same... I wonder how it would look like with a un-frayed center and a frayed trim ...

:think

Archived