What can you do with cloth strips??

Just made my son's girlfriend a Q hook and when she asked me what to make with it, off the top of my slightly out of kilter head, I said how about a flannel strip stocking cap. I was half kidding, but then I got to thinking...why not? I mean could you, for example, cut thin strips of flannel and make a manly scarf? A stocking cap?? Thinking of recycling old flannel pillow cases or bed sheets or shirts. Seems like there should be something interesting to make other than rag rugs, although I REALLY like rag rugs.

Ideas??

hmmm, yup, manly scarf works. Also your son's GF could make tote bags of different sizes and shapes :D. Rugs ;) little and big...little ones can be seat cushions, too. I'm thinking recycle-cindy has a handful of patterns that would be good with recycled flannel. There's probably even more ideas on CPC, and other villagers are surely even more creative than I.

(Q-hooks also work with multiple strands of yarn for quick afghans...haven't tried a fabric strip 'ghan...)

That should get the ball rolling... ;)

HTH, and have a good one

How to crochet with fabric is a link showing you how to cut continuous fabric strips. With them you can make rag rugs, placemats, hotpads, etc. Choose ONLY 100% cotton for those items which will be subject to heat.

My daughter crocheted a rag rug for a good friend who was getting married. She checked the girl's colors and bought print cotton in her kitchen shades. The rug was very cute and probably quite serviceable. You might want to put a non-skid backing on rugs, though. The other items will be fine without it.

Great ideas! My grandma first sewed strips of fabric together, (probably 1 or 1/2 inches wide) then rolled them into great balls, and did this with old clothing, and sheets, and such, till she had a grand selection of "balls" and then proceeded to crochet them in large ovals, for rag rugs! They were simply beuatiful and I remember she gave them to people for gifts! Imagine my sister's and my delight one year, when we got our Very Own rag rug made especially for us!

You can also make baskets, and purses out of fabric strips.

A friend of mine makes rag rugs out of them, just by going around and around with a big hook. She uses old sheets, fabric, and anything else she can find. They look really nice when they are done.

:manyheart

Just made my son's girlfriend a Q hook and when she asked me what to make with it, off the top of my slightly out of kilter head, I said how about a flannel strip stocking cap. I was half kidding, but then I got to thinking...why not? I mean could you, for example, cut thin strips of flannel and make a manly scarf? A stocking cap?? Thinking of recycling old flannel pillow cases or bed sheets or shirts. Seems like there should be something interesting to make other than rag rugs, although I REALLY like rag rugs.

Ideas??

I made hot pads. Also don't forget you can crochet with plastic bags! I never thought of making a hat. I bet that would be very warm.

If you really want it to look good, you will take your strip (cut approx 1 &1/2" width) join it on the diagonal into one continuous length (clipping each seam close), and double fold it so the raw edge is completely enclosed. The easiest way is to pass it through two bias tape folders consecutively (one wide, on smaller) as you roll it onto a ball. Or you can finger fold but that's a lot of work.

If you do this your rug, chair cushion or whatever will not have those nasty stringy raw edges, and it will be completely machine washable (assuming the fabric you used already is).

Just don't use the plastic bags for hotpads.

I've chosen to not use my Q hook. Working with it is very hard on my hands and I don't ever want to go back for another round of carpel tunnel surgeries.

Make sure you post pics of whatever she does make with the hook tho, Jimbo!

Archived