Need some suggestions....

:crocheting:crochetingIm starting to make a small collection of my crocheting projects. I would like to show them off and maybe sell them. I want to have my own website to promote. I really dont want to use ecty???? Can you suggest another way of going about this?

I thought about maybe godaddy.com but that cost money.

I thought about blogger.com but its mainly a blog site.

• 2 months later...

I have a shop on Artfire.com and you can have a Basic account there for free. You don't get as many features with the Basic as you do with Pro, but at least you could try it out for a bit without spending a ton. Hope this helps. You can check out my shop there below:

If you want to make a free gallery of your crocheting projects, I'd suggest Ravelry. That's one of my favorite features there, that I can upload pictures of my project all in one place and look at them together - and other people can leave comments or 'heart' them.

If your main goal is to sell them, I'm not sure what would work best. Most places (etsy, eBay, etc.) charge you money to list them and a piece of your sales. If you create your own website you don't have to pay for sales, but you do have to pay for the domain and the webhosting.

I remember when I first started selling my patterns, I just set them up on my blog with Paypal and Payloadz (an auto-delivery service) and sold there for a while until I felt it was worth investing in a domain and hosting.

I hope this helps!

• 2 months later...

I just started on Ravelry with my patterns....I have a free site at Yola.com and hopefully one day will be able to upgrade to a paid site with my own domain. I also sell at Yardsellr through Facebook.

The hardest part is getting traffic to an unknown website. That plus the fees that you'll have to pay, not only to have the website but also for the checkout software and automatic downloads - you really need to be able to sell enough to stay above water.

you can sell patterns on ravelry, yes? (sorry, new to the selling idea but had been thinking about posting a pattern for sale)

Yes, you can. I just purchased 4 patterns through Ravelry today, that's how I know! :D

hehehe thanks!

I'm about 2 or 3 days from posting my first pattern for sale on Ravelry. I'm nervous but now I'm thinking I need to get testers....

questions I have: what if people think it's stupid? what if I did something wrong? what if people think I'm nutso for selling dishcloth patterns? LOL

I can't imagine starting a store LOL one pattern is nerve-wracking enough LOL

Dishcloth books are selling like hotcakes right now.

The best advice I can give you is to test the pattern first. Always test the pattern to make sure there's no mistakes and that it reads clearly.

Dishcloth books are selling like hotcakes right now.

The best advice I can give you is to test the pattern first. Always test the pattern to make sure there's no mistakes and that it reads clearly.

I personally have done it a few times over (well, the first 2, the 3rd is still in dev) - but I am sure I'm overlooking something. It would be easy to do since I inherently know what my own design is supposed to do LOL

I will most likely put out a call to testers soon - thanks again (you are a fantastic resource for this stuff, has anyone told you that lately???)

Hey Cris,

I have experience with writing patterns so if you need a tester let me know and I'd be happy to help. I could even start today. I need a break from thread crochet. lol

Good luck with pattern sales!!

Julee

I personally have done it a few times over (well, the first 2, the 3rd is still in dev) - but I am sure I'm overlooking something. It would be easy to do since I inherently know what my own design is supposed to do LOL

I will most likely put out a call to testers soon - thanks again (you are a fantastic resource for this stuff, has anyone told you that lately???)

Awww - thanx.

You exactly hit why we need to have patterns tested. It's so very hard to edit your own work because you know what it's supposed to say.

Archived