I got a treasure.... help?!

YarnFeather

Question

My dad gave me a doily that my Grandma (his mom) crochet a LONG time ago. It is in dire need of cleaning.

It is thread, with flowers and leaves.... green and pinkish (assuming it used to be red).

I want to put it under my daughters memorial candle, but I do not know HOW to clean it with out hurting it. I am sure it has just been sitting on my dads table for a LONG time.

Any suggestions? I do not want to harm it one bit, I was born on her birthday, and she died when I was 7... so anything of her I have is a true treasure to me. I am sure you all understand.

Thanks for listening, and thanks in advance for the help! :manyheart

6 answers to this question

heather, it depends on what it is made of, if it is reg cotton then what beth says might work, if it is linen or silk, might be more of a problem. , find out first what kind of thread it is made with, and then maybe take it to a dry cleaners and see if they can clean it better. just a thought as i also had one of grannies and just washed it and layed it flat, and it came unraveled. almost had heart attack made me so sad. i think that this would be a wonderful memorial to your little girl, i know she wasn't little when she died, but to me mine will always be a little girl. hope your doing alright girl. take care k:manyheart

:think :think :think Maybe you could try powdered magnesia, if it is still available.

It used to be a favourite cleaner for things you did not want to wet.

You just put the item into a paper bag with the magnesia and shake it about. Leave it for a few days then shake the magnesia off. Should be lovely and clean.

I imagine you may find it at the Chemist.

The problem with washing old items can be bleeding of colours as the it dries and if the colour has faded, it may mean the colour will run.

Whatever you do, do not use bleach of any sort.

Let us know what you do and if it works.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug :hug :hug

Archived