Beginner here - I must be dumb

spaycee

Question

ok, maybe that is extreme. But I am reading thru the crochet book I bought AND the Stitch by Stitch magazines my mom had from the 80s and I don't care - I have been at this for about 2 hours and I can't make a slip knot to get started. I am not getting completely impatient - YET. I even found some videos online and I am confused. Maybe I don't understand the process? Any suggestions to get my started?

11 answers to this question

Are you having trouble getting the knot on the hook to get you started? I actually had trouble with that too. When I first started I used to make the slip knot, then put that on the hook. I also kept trying to keep the loops on the hook as for knitting.

Just keep trying and try to keep everything loose. I remember crying when I first started, but then it all just clicked.

ok this is hard to describe, but here's how my friend taught me to do it (making the knot on the hook)

wrap the yarn around the hook (about 1/4 an inch from the actual hook part) twist it around once (just take the hook and turn it in a full circle) then pull your first chain through the loop that made, and pull tight on the tail. That makes the slip knot on the hook, and leaves you ready to start your chain (the first pull through does not count as a chain, its part of making the knot)

hope that helps!!

Sherry

That is how I begin also. I have never made an actual sl knot to start a chain. A chain is just simply grabbing the thread and pulling the loop through. The begining stitch isn't really any different, just you have to put a loop on the hook to pull through first. Wrap the yarn/thread around your hook holding your loop onto the hook with one hand, , grab the yarn/thread with the hook, pull through. Do that twice and you are good to go. Hope that makes sense.

I've been at this for over a year and a half. And I have yet to start anything with a slip knot. I just don't trust that they will stay. I tie knots in everything. I tie a knot when I start, I tie knots when I start new skeins and change colors, I even knot fringe on.

So, I don't think it will hurt if your first couple projects (at least) have real knots in the end.

This is how I taught the grandchildren to make a slip knot.

:think Take the tail of the yarn in your left hand, then with the right hand, wrap the yarn right around your left index finger until it crosses over where you started. Now slip the loop off your left index finger and pass the yarn, towards you, through the loop with your right hand. Put your hook :hook through the new loop and pull gently on the thread to tighten. Not too tight though.

It is hard to describe something you do without thinking, so I hope you understand my description.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Becky, Remember the gallows, they used a bigger version of the slip-knot, fishermen use a version of the slip-knot. The line will break before the knot comes undone.

Trust me, it will not come undone, anyway, if it did, have you ever tried to undo a piece of chain from the wrong end? It does not work.

The advantage of the slipknot at the beginning of your chain is that it is flexible where-as a knot does not give at all.

Please, "Pretty Please" learn to do a slip-knot, you will be so pleased with yourself, you will wonder why you put it off.

If it still worries you, try undoing the start end of the chain.

:cheer:clap:cheer:clap:cheer:clap:cheer:clap:cheer:clap:cheer:clap:cheer:clap

Have fun.

Colleen.

Let me know when you have graduated to slip-knots and I will send you a cheer.

Remember to weave in your tail, not cut it off too short.

ok this is hard to describe, but here's how my friend taught me to do it (making the knot on the hook)

wrap the yarn around the hook (about 1/4 an inch from the actual hook part) twist it around once (just take the hook and turn it in a full circle) then pull your first chain through the loop that made, and pull tight on the tail. That makes the slip knot on the hook, and leaves you ready to start your chain (the first pull through does not count as a chain, its part of making the knot)

hope that helps!!

Sherry

Sherry, That is a great way to show a "Newbie". Boy, where were you when I first started learning! Thanks for the tip. I have several young people you want to learn to crochet and your method for the slip knot seems much easier than some of the pictures I've seen.

This is how I taught the grandchildren to make a slip knot.

:think Take the tail of the yarn in your left hand, then with the right hand, wrap the yarn right around your left index finger until it crosses over where you started. Now slip the loop off your left index finger and pass the yarn, towards you, through the loop with your right hand. Put your hook :hook through the new loop and pull gently on the thread to tighten. Not too tight though.

It is hard to describe something you do without thinking, so I hope you understand my description.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Hey Collen, That's a great way too! I am going to be teaching some young children to crochet so all the tips I can find are very helpful.

Archived