combining threads

crochettreasures

Hi everyone,

I have only been working with thread for a few months (mostly #10s) I found out that I like the #7 hook and #10 thread. I have tried to make other things with #20 and #30 with a smaller needle and have had NO LUCK :(

My question is this - can I use 2 strands of maybe #30 to equal #10? Or is there no hope for the tons of 20s and 30s I have in my stash?

Dawn

i have learnt to use thread and have some 20's i used two of them in different colours to make something and it worked out great. i likened it to using no. 10. so go ahead and see what you can do. i had no problems with the 2 working together. :hook

Combine to your hearts content, BUT we want to see pics!

Right now, I'm working out the kinks in combining thread, yarn and novelty thread. It sounds freaky, but it's comming out really nice. In some of them, I'm using 2 or 3 different hook sizes. I've heard before that you can't do that, but I believe you can do anything that you put your mind to it. That's what being creative is all about. Have fun!

I have pictures I think still in my digi camera that need to be uploaded and finished projects that seem to have "poofed" out of my finished project stash that I still have yet to photograph. But I promise to post pics of my creation when they are finished :)

• 2 months later...

I've experimented using crochet thread and sewing thread together. I haven't finished anything yet (it's on my to-do list. Honestly.) but it's amazing what blending a little color with white can do to a piece. Maybe you or someone else could try this and post your results.

I was just thinking that adding two (or three) sewing threads to #20 crochet thread might bring the guage up to #10. I bet you could come up with wonderful tweedy effects that way.

(Oh boy! Another thing for my own to-do list. :hook )

Yes, You can crochet 2 or 3 strand of any threads and go your own way to crocheting I do it all the time. I like to use 2 colors most times.. I like the ideas the ladies have here using sewing thread along with 20 and 30 threads. Thats a good idea and yes, would give it that tweedy look! :yay

I am almost done with the baby booties I had on my list to do for the neighbor. She had a October baby and I have a really neat idea to use up some fall yarn for the baby botties. Then I am going to start on doilies that I want to make. I have several doilys I want to make some for us,,, some to selll, and some doilys to make for the kids tables for their house. Some dolies I plan on using beads and yes, glass beads, and stones beads in them. I am so excited to get started. Been a few years since I have used beads let alone glass beads in my doilys...

good luck with your threads and doilys...:D

Archived