I get to make a baby blankie!

I was on facebook the other day and one of my co-workers announced he is going to be a father for the 2nd time. He and his wife both work at the same store. I know them both, and she is a very sweet girl. The first thing that came to mind when I saw his post was OHHH! I need to make a baby blanket for them. I have some ideas in mind of what I want to make for them, and I'm going to use the usual baby colors. They also have a little one who is 3. I wonder if I should make her a little something too.

I have a couple in mind, one is a round ripple I saw a long time ago and anohter has squares that you make and join together. I have a book of crochet patterns for babies and small children, I will have to look through that book again to see what I like. I'm really thinking round ripple though, no squares to have to join.

How exciting. I like the idea of making a little something for the 3 year old. I know some children (especially the first born) have a hard time when there is a new baby in the house. All of the attention (at least this is what the child thinks) is going to the baby and none to them. They are no longer the "special" one. So I think a little something for the 3 year old would be nice. You said "her" so I assume the 3 year old is a girl so my suggestion would be a doll size afghan. That way she could be just like Mommy in taking care of her "baby."

I would recommend the Tiramisu blanket

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/baby_afghans.php

Thanks to the joys of Win 7 and Adobe I cannot get you a link right to it but it is on this page at CPC. it is a lovely blankie and makes a great presentation as well. Just plain looks good. :ghug

I've never tried that one; it is lovely.

My go to baby blanket is Baby Bubbles, also found on the above CPC link.

I love round ripples, they are lots of fun to play around with different color combinations. It is very sweet of you to think of the big sister. A small something would be appreciated by the sister AND the parents, especially since the sister is only three...little ones sometimes have a hard time with the idea that the new baby is getting so much attention by not only the parents but everyone else too. That would help the big sister feel SPECIAL!

We are getting ready to welcome a baby brother for our 21 month old, and I have made her (among other things) a doll blanket like tnkycrochetnut suggested as well as some little purses. In the show and tell, there is a link to the pattern for a heart purse: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?p=2118179#post2118179

How exciting. I like the idea of making a little something for the 3 year old. I know some children (especially the first born) have a hard time when there is a new baby in the house. All of the attention (at least this is what the child thinks) is going to the baby and none to them. They are no longer the "special" one. So I think a little something for the 3 year old would be nice. You said "her" so I assume the 3 year old is a girl so my suggestion would be a doll size afghan. That way she could be just like Mommy in taking care of her "baby."

Yeah, I could make a mini version of the baby afghan for her to play "mommy", and maby a little crochet doll to go with.

Or I could make her a little purse with the same yarn.

Archived