New to thread crochet HELP!!'

Roxiegirl

Hey y'all! I'm new here but am thrilled to have found this forum. I have been crocheting for almost five years now and think I'm pretty good at it. Recently I saw a picture of these adorable crochet panel hoop earrings I knew I had to make!!! There's no pattern only a picture and materials used- a silver hoop &silk thread.

I got some hoops and thread, pulled out my smallest hook & went for it. IT'S HORRIBLE and driving me batty! The stitches are uneven and I have a hard time getting the hook in the right loop.

Is thread crochet a learned and acquired talent? Does it have a different technique?

I've did find a website about making thread crochet snowflakes that had some advice on learning so now I'm thinking not alone thread is different than yarn.

Is it possible I have the wrong materials? My hook is a clover soft touch d/3.25 mm... Do I need something smaller?

My thread is gutermann 100% silk. I think the website said it's a size 30?

I don't mind fingering weight yarn but I didn't like crochet cotten or making doilies? Does that have any bearing in using thread for earrings or is hope lost or these cute earrings?

Any advice welcome

Roxie:(

Thread is different. The stitches are the same but you'll have to find a new tension. Once you get your tension set the stitches will come out better.

Your hook is WAY to big. I would start with #10 thread. Royal is a decent brand and has a bunch of colors. You need either a Bates Brand steel hook in size 5 or Boye Brand hook in steel hook size 7.

One of the reasons that your stitches are so 'awful' and that you can't see where to put the hook is because your hook is way too big.

for sure that is much too large a hook. for size 30 thread you will need about a 1 mm hook. the mm size for size 10 thread is 1.5-1.75. http://www.heirloomcrochet.com/hccrochethooks.html

also I think the silk is probably rather slippery which will make it harder to work with. cotton is easier to handle.

one way to get used to the smaller size thread is to gradually work with smaller weights, like sock yarn or size 5 thread, before you get to the really small stuff.

Is size 5 the same as sock yarn? I've used baby weight yarns I don't remeber if I've ever specifically used sock yarn.

Once adjusted to thread crochet does it become second nature and almost mindless like yarn crochet?

I have so much to learn!

Is size 5 the same as sock yarn? I've used baby weight yarns I don't remeber if I've ever specifically used sock yarn.

Once adjusted to thread crochet does it become second nature and almost mindless like yarn crochet?

I have so much to learn!

I was just naming 2 easily obtainable things that i could think of. all of the "crochet threads" will feel quite different than acrylic or wool yarn, because there is no spring or stretchiness to the threads.

what kind of yarn are you most comfortable with now?

I would not say that thread crochet is almost mindless, but it will become 2nd nature after you have practiced a lot.

and welcome to the Ville:hook

The right thread and the right size hook will make a world of differnence. All the advice here had been good. Just want to wish you the best of luck and to encourage you to try with the right tools.

I have tendonitis, not carpal tunnel but still painful if I overdo it.

I have a set of Boye interchangeable hooks that screw into a shaft that is about the size of a G or H hook. That helps a little, but before you go out and spend $25ish for the set...

Clover sells large handled steel hooks, and you can also make your own. Some people mold polymer clay around the handles. What also works, and cheapest yet, I've wound thread around the shaft until it is thick enough so one of those cushy pencil grip things can be pushed over it and stay put. Joanne sells crochet hook cushions but they aren't very thick.

edit - link to Clover steel hooks http://www.clover-usa.com/product/0/1020-1027/_/Soft_Touch_%22Steel%22_Crochet_Hooks

I have carpal tunnel and just use a regular steel hook, as that is what I'm used to. I have more problems with numbness than pain. I know the specialty hooks are great though and can be easier on the hands.

I love thread crochet, as well as yarn. Very good advice here....tension is so important.

I'm very used to thread crocheting, frequently using size 80 and 100.

First of all you should try something else than earrings first, even I had trouble getting the hang of tensions at first when I started making earrings.

Second of all, DON'T start with silk thread. It's slippery and hard to work with. When you've got the hang of thread crocheting you can always go back to the silk thread.

I would start with making a simple swatch with sc, dc and ch, to get a hang of the idea of thread crocheting.

If there is less stretchiness and give in thread will it be painful for carpal tunnel?

Does anyone else crochet with carpal tunnel here?

I've crocheted with it and had the surgery for it.

I use the blue foam cushion with a gelly pencil holder for the thumb rest. I hold my hook steak knife style- not like a pencil.

Get the right sized hook and a ball of #10. Learn how to work with the medium before you jump into an advanced pattern and make yourself nuts.

I also have carpal tunnel and RSD. I have found the Susan Bates bamboo handle steel crochet hooks to be helpful. I have only found them at Hobby Lobby. Be patient...it does get easier to use thread and very rewarding.

Archived