Etsy or Ravelry?

Hi all,

I am curious about the general opinions on sale of patterns on either of these sites. I currently have a store on Etsy where I put up a few items for sale, mostly patterns some paper crafts of mine. I came across the Ravelry site and found that there are both free patterns as well as those that are for sale up there.

As a crafter, which site do you prefer? Do you prefer it because of the variety of items available? or does it generate more sales?

Do both. Different people are on different sites and it widens your market.

The benefits of ravelry:

1. you don't have to e-mail the pattern. They do that for you.

2. no listing fee. you don't pay anything unless you make over $20 (or is it $25) in a month.

I am NOT a designer, so this is MHO. I prefer Ravelry, cause I always check what is new, for free there. While I am checking, I will look at the for purchase items too, & occasionally get 1 of those too. After purchase, it is automatically stored in "my library" - one less I have to download.

ETSY is almost 100% for purchase items. I don't look at it on a regular basis.

I have a question. Some of my acquaintances at Ravelry have asked me if I would post this or that pattern over there. . . I have never had the time to find out how to do that because I am always zipping in and out of Ravelry. Would any of you kind crocheters point me to the page where one can find out how to upload a pattern to Ravelry? I have something in the works, if it's not too time consuming to post it over there, I would give it a try.

Thank you so much!

Clotilde

hi there,

I have just posted my designs on Ravelry. If you would like to add a pattern on Ravelry, you need to log in and go to 'Contributions' to add a pattern. There will be a form to fill and link to your file.

I like Ravelry. I have actually purchased pattern through Ravelry, but not ETSY. I like how on Ravelry, you can look to see items made by other crocheters and view their comments on the pattern. I just bought one on there a week ago, mainly because of all the positive feedback on the pattern.Also, the Ravelry search features make it handy to find what you are looking for, and you have a built in base of people who would be in the market for your crochet patterns.

I have looked on ETSY before, but have always been overwhelmed by the amount of items there. However, if possible, listing on both as has been suggested previously may not be a bad idea.

as a customer, i prefer ravelry. i can save them to my library, look at what others have done with the same pattern easily. i have also had occassion where a pattern was updated and i recieved an email letting me know so that i could download the newest version.

• 4 months later...

You're welcome. It's a very nice site for seeing how all sorts of different people have a made a pattern: using different colors, different yarns, modifications they have made.

You can also find information about all sorts of patterns over there, both for-sale and for-free.

I dunno much about either, have only been to ravelry a couple of times, found it less than satisfying, for me anyway, as for Etsy, I have an account there, but never have made a sale, i think it's because the only ones that go there to look are those that can crochet, and therefor can make it themselves, or something, I dunno, my opinion is all. I prefer the VILLE over all others!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I'm trying to decide between Etsy & Ravelry.  I know Etsy has a large following, but I just don't know if their fees are worth it.  Also, I've been told you can sell handmade items -- not just patterns -- on there.  However, I have not been able to find info on fees or a link to set up a shop.  Any help would be appreciated.

Archived