The Cover I made For Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer

SusanMarie1956

Hi Sasseman1!

This is a really old post, so it's unlikely that the original poster will answer you.  To get the right measurement make a swatch with the hook, yarn and stitch pattern that you're going to use.  Make it at least 5" high and at least 5" wide (higher and/or wider is fine.)  Next measure the middle 4" in both directions.  This will tell you how many stitches you make in 4" and how many rows you make in 4".  Next take a tape measure and measure around the widest part, most likely the base, to get the circumference.  Also measure the height.  Now that you know your numbers, divide the inches in the circumference by 4 (fractions count).  Multiply that number by the number of stitches you make in 4".  This will be the number of stitches wide (if you're doing it flat, then sewing it together) or the number of stitches around at the bottom.  Do the same math to get the number of rows you'll need.

She said she couldn't find a pattern, so she made it up---she may have written it down as she went, or maybe not.  You can try sending her a private message, but this is an old post and she isn't very active here..

It's a little hard to see what she did because of the angle and lighting - all the shaping stuff is at the top. I don't think all mixers are identical, so if you find a pattern it may not fit your mixer right.  I can think of 4 easy ways to wing one (all start with measuring the mixer's widest part (I'll call this girth):

1) make it like a hat starting at the top, except start with an oval instead of a circle, and working even when the circumference of the oval = girth

2) start with a tube (=girth) from the bottom, and then make decreases when you get near the top.  Mark where the logical 'corners' would be and increase there--this is more or less the reverse of #1

3) start with a rectangle at the top where the 4 sides = girth, then work even around the rectangle for the length you want.  This may end up sort of boxy at the top.

4) the trickiest sort of a toaster cover idea, with a strip across the narrow direction of the mixer from base to base, then 2 sort of half oval shapes for the wider sides, then sewn to the strip.

Back to your attempt being too big - if you still have it, put it over the mixer and stretch it over the wide part, then pinch the extra bit & count how many extra stitches you have.  Make your next attempt that many stitches fewer for the girth, plus maybe a couple more so you don't have to struggle to pull it over the mixer.  A lot of people make hats an inch or 2 smaller than their head because they want it to stretch tight for example.

Well, here's a fifth way:  the first pattern isn't free, but both are just 2 rectangles sewn together, the first has another rectangle sewn on for a pocket - cute idea, and super easy

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mixer-cover

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sunflower-kitchen-mixer-cover

This is what I was trying to describe as the toaster cover idea, just for a visual

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/toaster-cover-s-963

How to make basic shapes - including an oval.  When you are making an oval or rectangle from the center out, you make the chain = the difference of the end length and width desired.  Example if you make a 2" center chain, the oval/rectangle will come out 2" longer than wide, whether it's 4"x2"  or 10"x12"

http://www.mooglyblog.com/how-to-make-5-basic-crochet-shapes-free-patterns-and-links/

You guys all know more about pattern making then I ever will, sounds complicated, sewing 2 prices together is fine with me, my mixer is 32" around and 15 h, The st I want to do is called shell st (crazy st) it's 3dc with sc between I get 4 shells(3dc) across and 9 rows do u count each dc or shells

I think this would be a challenging stitch pattern to choose for this, because it doesn't have straight edges (for sewing together).

But...someone has done a tutorial of how to make a hat, in the round, with this stitch.  You could make a tube 32" around, then finish/decrease the top as the hat was done (you will have more shells to reduce than the hat, it might be tricky), or sew together at the top (will be a jagged seam - I think - unless you could offset the zig-zag so they fit together...I think you'd need an odd number of shells for the offset to work.

https://cottonginstudios.wordpress.com/2013/11/12/box-stitch-in-the-round-a-hat/

They turned out great! :)

Yeah, that happens with pics from a phone. They need to be reoriented with a photo editor.

Same thing happens with my digital camera. I am avoiding taking vertical pictures and sometimes that is not working very well when the object is taller than wider. Each time I would turn that in my computer as soon as I will upload that here (C'ville) it turns sideways. The funny thing about that is when I will sent that picture/pictures to my friend in Arizona and he turns that up-right on his computer and sent that back to me, that work's. Than I can upload that picture here and it stays up right! LOL. I have no idea why??.

Krys

• 6 months later...

Archived